Canon Pixma is printing yellow as orange

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Print purge pages might be the perfect tool to clear the wrong colours from the nozzles. That's the purpose of purge pages.
Maybe with all this going on, it might be a good idea to give the purge pads a good wash and clean as well..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
The same issue has been posted on dpreview.

This looks indeed as contamination, I observed it when refilling Maxify cartridges - in particular the refillables, much less OEM - and it is caused by pressure differences.
On this printer the trick is to print a number of pages to equalize the pressure, and in case of contamination print plain pages of the infected color until cleared.
I don't know how the pressure problem could arise in the G3100, maybe the OEM bottles are needed for a correct refill ?
Indeed, with a Maxify is quite usual to have cross contamination in the nozzle test, specially after replacing one or more carts, but it happens randomly too for no apparent reason. Either one of the magenta bars comes mixed with yellow or it's the cyan contaminated with magenta, etc. The black grid is never affected (in my printer). I guess it's because it uses a separate purge pad and the black nozzles stay out of the reach of the CMY colors.
A normal cleaning cycle of the color nozzles fixes this cross contamination and so it does printing a bit of something with color.
Maxifys are like that and the user has to accept this minor quibble. I'm curious to know if the new megatank Maxify models will behave likewise.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Indeed, with a Maxify is quite usual to have cross contamination in the nozzle test, specially after replacing one or more carts, but it happens randomly too for no apparent reason. Either one of the magenta bars comes mixed with yellow or it's the cyan contaminated with magenta, etc. The black grid is never affected (in my printer). I guess it's because it uses a separate purge pad and the black nozzles stay out of the reach of the CMY colors.
A normal cleaning cycle of the color nozzles fixes this cross contamination and so it does printing a bit of something with color.
Maxifys are like that and the user has to accept this minor quibble. I'm curious to know if the new megatank Maxify models will behave likewise.
I bet new Maxify OEM carts have a negative pressure, something we can't reproduce when refilling them since both the ink outlet and vent are open to the air (I tried sealing both, albeit to avoid ink spilling when inserting the cart, but raising the back of the printer is a much simpler solution for that).
Anyway, refillables with a spring valve outlet and ingeniously looking channels and vents are worse.