canon pixma ip8500 green problem on pics?

sicknote

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
first post here guys :) so hello to all
my problem as topic says is my photos have suddenly started to print out with a BIG tint of green to them,since i first used up the canon originals i get them refilled at a well know refill place and i have never had a problem with the color not even the magenta issue really but the past few days they are coming out with the green so prominent? i use the basic settings for 4x6 no extra options ticked etc etc always use good paper trying to understand why its started to do it maybe a bad batch of ink? as i do replace each cartridge as it goes? i always have two sets for backup as these things are prone to needing pm,m,pc and c a lot,any ideas would be very welcome and a bag of your favorite sweeties to anyone that can solve the issue for me:)
thnx

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Sicknote,

Welcome to the forum.

The following colors are opposites:
1. A lack of Magenta will print a Green color cast
2. A lack of Yellow will print a Blue color cast
3. A lack of Cyan will print a Red color cast

A green color cast indicates that the most likely cause of your problem is a lack of PM or Magenta. From your post, I assume that you have been using refilled carts for some time, so you may have a clog in one of these colors.

If this is your first use of refills, you can expect color problems until all of your OEM carts have been replaced with refilled carts. Even then, it is common to see a color shift with non-OEM ink sets. This is why "ICC profiles" are used with non-OEM ink if you are sensitive to color shifts.

sicknote

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Grandad35: thnx for your reply been using refills since first set of oem ran out and never had a problem until now:( all cleaning and testing done on the printer and no clogs etc that i can see, i just replaced all the old set with a new set and re-formatted the hd and put windows etc back on and just tried printing again and still the same problem? wondering whether or not i should just use oems on it as there only bout 1:50 more than i pay for refills but hell i would still like to know why this has started

ps: sorry m8 meant to ask about ICC etc etc because i have not got a clue:)

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Sicknote,

What does your nozzle check show? Are all of the colors printing properly? As I stated above, I suspect that your PM or Magenta isn't printing properly. It is not uncommon for the sponges and filters to become clogged after a number of refills, and perhaps this is your problem (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=311).

You are only saving about 20% with your refiller - it is hardly worth the trouble over using new OEM carts. Why not learn to refill and save over 90%? There are also numerous 3rd party prefilled carts that can save 70-80% if you don't want the hassle of refilling yourself.

sicknote

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
sorry Grandad35 i meant i use 3rd party carts filled by a shop and yes all the colors print fine on the nozzle check

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Did the green cast occur after you began to use the new set of carts? Was there a clear boundary before and after using the new set of carts? If the answer is yes you probably got problematic colors from your new cartridges. If your nozzle test has perfect print with no banding nor any missing pixels this is probably the problem, wrong colors in the ink. Your printhead is fine. If you switch to another set of carts with good ink (correct colors) your printer should print normally again. I have an ip8500 too. Never had a clog so far. It's a printer quite clog resisting in my opinion.

sicknote

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hpnetserver: thnx for the reply and yes it did occur with a new set but as i said above i changed the set i thought was faulty for a complete new set and it still does the same thing its weird i have no idea why so gonna resort to tryin a set of oem cartridges to see if it is the compats that are causing it if its not then i guess its a canon jobby for them to sort out but i need to do it quick cause me 12mth warranty is up in may

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
As grandad said if you get a green cast you probably have a week magenta or photo magenta. It's possible that when you switched to a set of 3rd party carts it caused a partial clog in magenta or photo magenta. Before the clog is cleard switching to a set of OEM may prove costly but not anything faulty. You may still have the same green cast. It seems the clog is not in the nozzles. That's why your nozzle test still look OK. It is a clog between the cartridge and the nozzles. If this is true you should be able to clar the clog. You have two choices. One is to try to unclog it, assuming it is indeed clogged. Or you can call Canon and get a free new printhead under warranty. It should not be difficult to take the 2nd route but then you won't find out if the original printhead is clogged or not and you will not have a chance to learn how to deal with it. Why not take the 1st route and try to clean it. If it doesn't solve the problem you can still call Canon.

The easiest thing to do is to soak your printhead in water for a few hours. You may want to search the faq of this forum to see how experts do it. Because of the warranty you really have nothing to lose.