Canon Pixma Ip5000 - Printhead Died?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I can also recommend that you shouldn’t remover the print head if at all possible, allow the printer to do the cleaning and maintenance itself.

But if it is deemed necessary to remove the print head then to pull the power plug and wait two minutes to carry out any work on it, and don’t power on again till it’s back securely in place, this will prevent the possibility of any wayward discharges from occurring..

aky13

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP5000, Canon iX6820
Yes, this is a typical symptom of electronic failure of the print head.

The print head is actually two print heads combined in one package. One section is for the pigment black and the other section is for the dye CMYBK inks. Each section can fail independently of the other.

An electronic failure in the pigment black section could show as totally missing PGBK test pattern, upper or lower half of the pattern missing,or a picket fence pattern.

An electronic failure in the dye section of the print head could show as totally missing dye print, one or more stripes split along the middle with the upper or lower half significantly lighter than the other, or other striped patterns.

Canon print heads can fail for no apparent reason, especially if old, and the Pixma 5000 is not exactly a new printer.

The parts number for the print head is QY6-0057-000 if you want to search for one, but I guess it is hard or impossible to find.

Hi,

I just joined this forum. I, too, have a beloved iP5000 with a dead print head. I came to the forum hoping to learn HOW to access the print head. In any event, print heads are plentiful on eBay. Refurbished for $65.

I will start a new thread after I search for info. My printhead locked up on the right and will NOT budge. This was VERY SUDDEN, although I'd seen indications in plain paper color printing that the head was clogged a bit. This month, I bought a Canon Pixma iX6820 to replace it for only $150 from Best Buy. BUT, I would love to get my iP5000 working again, especially since I have ink cartridges left over.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
" print heads are plentiful on eBay. Refurbished for $65.

There is NO SUCH THING as a "refurbished" print head.

At most, it is a used (and maybe tested) print head. I don't know you country of residence, but if it's the USA, call Canon Parts Department (google the 800 number), and see if they cam supply a new head.

aky13

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Turbguy,

Thanks for your response. I have found people on various blogs to be NICE, decent, human beings! I live about 30 miles straight North of the White House.

Here is one of the ads:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shipping-fr...316103?hash=item4ad2820487:g:QpAAAOSwQTVV~3q0

NOTE THE DISCLAIMER. I have read in other comments that a bad circuit board sometimes fries the printhead and will KILL a new one, too!

MY SYMPTOMS - SIMPLE, upon power up the printhead does NOTHING. You can hear the machine trying to do its boot routine. Open the lid (as for ink replacement) and the printhead does NOT move on the rail.

Was working fine the previous time it was powered up.

I've since bought a Pixma iX6820 (on sale at Best Buy for $150), but I would still love to FIX my iP5000, if possible and for not too much money.

aky13

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sorry for the second message. I came to this forum trying to learn how to ACCESS the printhead since it is NOT moving on the rail. I have no idea how to open the top of the printer.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Druckerchannel.de has an excellent article in English about disassembling the printers of the Pixma 4000 family for changing the ink absorbers. The Pixma iP5000 is mechanically identical to the Pixma iP4000 so the instruction also applies to your printer. Notice on page 7 how to unlock the print head carriage.

When a Canon print head becomes defective, it sometimes creates a short circuit. A protective circuit then prevents the printer from turning on to avoid a fire hazard. A print head that prevents the printer from turning on has most likely damaged the logic board so a new print head will not revive the printer. Furthermore a logic board that has been damaged this way might damage a new print head.

Replacing the print head is a gamble, and I cannot tell your odds for success.

aky13

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
You folks are kindhearted, awesome people! THANK YOU SO MUCH. I will most likely take the printer over to the recycling site after I open it. I would at least like to get the ink cartridges out for the $2 each credit at Staples! LOL

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@aky13, Start by up-plugging the power lead from the wall, wait two minutes and plug it back in again, then press the power button on the front and as soon as you hear some movement / noise from the printer, pull the power lead out again as fast as you can.

Now with the power still off, lift the top cover and see if you can pull the print head out by hand from the side of the machine, it will move easy or not at all, but it’s still worth trying a few times, you need to catch the printer when the print head is been unlatched but before it actually attempts to move.

Which error did you get when you first noticed there was a problem..?

aky13

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I understand your question but do NOT remember what the printer status window said.

I will try your suggestion.

THANK YOU!

aky13

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Gentlemen,

Thank you ALL for your kind assistance. Unplugging did not help. In the end, I removed the right side of the printer and EASILY turned the nylon gears. SOMEHOW, that released the printhead and I was able to get my ink cartridges out. SADLY, it did not fix the problem, though.
I delivered the printer to a recycling center yesterday.

Arthur