Canon Pixma IP4950 and printhead problems

haleirwin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello I have one problem. I bought Canon Pixma IP4950 in August 2012 and uses rechargables cartridges refilled for me with special inks for this printer (Sensient brand), the cartridges are transparent with chip, the problem is with printhead nozzles, when I printed the test page and three colors shows blurs lines or completely missing, I probe with deep clean in the Canon Software but situation is not better, I contact with the my ink provider and he said I can use the clean liquid provides with him kit for clean printhead. I prefer return printer to Canon because is still in warranty (six month only and in Spain the warranty is for two years), Canon is now repairing my printer. My ink provider said to me the possible cause of the problem is waste ink between the cartridge and the zone with cartridge give contact with duct of printhead for refill many times the transparent cartridge, my question is, this situation is possible with only 5 recharges for each cartridge? is normal nozzles clogged with only six months of use and around 550 pages and 70 DVDs printed? Thanks for the help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I hate to have to say this but the problem wasnt with your print head originally
but from these compatibles cartridges that youre using.

Therere not as good as your original OEM cartridges that came with your printer when new,
and if you want to use refilled cartridges these are the ones to use.

Refilled compatible cartridges are great at burning out nozzles on a Canon print head
and therefore should not be used under any circumstances.

Do let us know how you got on with Canon Services and what they said about your printer..:(

haleirwin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer, your recomendation is not using more refill for me compatible cartridges?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
haleirwin said:
Thanks for your answer, your recomendation is not using more refill for me compatible cartridges?
That is correct only refill Canon genuine cartridges and use good quality inks. :)

haleirwin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Excuse me for that question but, what is the difference between transparent refillables cartridges and Canon cartridges? The content of this is not suppose enormous technology investiment, sponge, chip, plastic case. Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
haleirwin said:
Excuse me for that question but, what is the difference between transparent refillables cartridges and Canon cartridges? The content of this is not suppose enormous technology investiment, sponge, chip, plastic case. Thanks.
Believe me there is a huge difference in these two types of cartridge.

Compatible carts will work for a short while and then cause all sorts of ink flow problems later
Which usually ends up by killing your print head.

While the OEM carts are only designed to work once, they can however because of their brilliant design
be refilled again and again and will work indefinitely.

There are lots of technical reasons why OEM cartridges are better than a compatible cartridge;
they may look the same but in fact there completely different on the outside but especially on the inside.

So if youre going to continue to print youll need to learn how to refill you own cartridges
which will in the long run save you a lot of headaches and hundreds of .. :)

haleirwin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for your information, I will try to find here the proper method for refilling Canon Cartridge for my printer.

haleirwin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
One question, what is de proper method for this cartridges? in the case of prerefilled cartridges in Europe what stores are good for this? Thanks, and excuse me for my english but my original language is spanish.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
haleirwin said:
One question, what is de proper method for this cartridges? in the case of prerefilled cartridges in Europe what stores are good for this? Thanks, and excuse me for my english but my original language is spanish.
There are two ways to refill the cartridges for your printer which uses the opaque 525/526 cartridges.

You can replace your current OEM cartridges with empty 521/520 cartridge
by changing over the chips from your current set to these new one and refill and use them.

You can also refill your 525/526 opaque cartridges and just use them,
however youre going to need some good quality inks and a chip resetter which ever method you choose.

Here are a couple of links on How to refill your cartridges and where to buy inks and accessories.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=62664#p62664
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=40766#p40766
http://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/Bulk-Ink/Canon-Compatible/?page=2&sort=featured