Canon Pixma iP4700 Questions

st86

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi All

I have just got a Canon Pixma iP4700 after my beloved Epson R220 with a CIS system died on me after about 4 years. And I have a couple of questions.

1. I am worried about the amount the printer cleans itself, is there a way to stop this happening ?

2 Has anybody installed a CIS system for this printer ? i have ordered this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISS-CIS-INK-...ng_PrinterInkCatridges_JN?hash=item3357c15e1b

3. With my Epson I had a service utility which allowed me to reset in waste and inks etc has canon got a similar program

Thanks

ST

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum.

About No. 1 the answer is NO :(

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
st86 said:
1. I am worried about the amount the printer cleans itself, is there a way to stop this happening ?
I solved that problem by not turning printers on and off unless absolutely necessary. My Canon and Epsons that are not used often only get fired up once every month or two to keep heads from drying out.

And I never run a head cleaning on any printer even if nozzle check indicates it's needed. Instead I print a pure color sheet for any nozzle that's clogged.

This is not so much for saving ink because CIS solves that problem but more to delay the need for a waste ink reset. Some printers don't have one available yet.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Printing a pure color sheet for cloggled nozzles is fine for Epson printers but risky for Canons because there needs to be ink present for each nozzle to keep them cool. But, new print heads cost less than having the waste ink pad replaced so maybe this is a good treadoff (tongue-in-cheek).

vimes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
@st86....

I had seen that CISS kit for the ip4700, which I have just bought, that you have purchased yourself and I have also seen these other two...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IP4700-CISS-C...ng_PrinterInkCatridges_JN?hash=item3355e891f3

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISS-CONTINUO...vr_id=&cguid=439549ef1240a0aad537d797ff5084b4

what made you decide to go with the one that you did..? You also have noted that it is working ok for you, how much ink does it come with already and did you have any problems with the printer recognising the cartridges..?

Which ink would you buy for it..?

Lastly, sorry for the list of questions, does the chip resetter work like it is supposed to work for the cartridges - one that I linked meany you needed to remove the orginal chips off the cartridges but I'm not sure on how well that would work.?

Thanks for any advice.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
new print heads cost less than having the waste ink pad replaced so maybe this is a good treadoff (tongue-in-cheek).
Do Canons become boat anchors like Epson if there's no reset utility when waste ink fills up?

(Note to self: do NOT buy any more printers that use thermal heads.)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Canon printers (as well as many others) tend to be very cheap when purchased new, especially when they are phased out. I always buy at least one extra to be put in service when the first one becomes a boat anchor for any reason. It gives me a very long time to decide where to go next.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Canon printers (as well as many others) tend to be very cheap when purchased new, especially when they are phased out. I always buy at least one extra to be put in service when the first one becomes a boat anchor for any reason. It gives me a very long time to decide where to go next.
I agree with that too. Redundancy is best protection against obsolescence and breakdown. It's hard to resist buying 2 or 3 when they're only $20 or free with a $10 camera. Worth it for the carts alone.

I do it with the CIS systems too. For $20-$25 it's good insurance in case those no longer become available. The chips are the issue. Backup printers, backup ink.

st86

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
@ vimes

I choose my CIS system based on price and also it had auto reset chips installed.

At the moment there is no problem with the cartridges.

The only thing wrong with this system is the catridged are not in the correct sequence needed a little bit of tweaking to get them set up, no big thing prety easy.

I would buy these inks but ask the seller just to make sure works with your printer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-100ML-REFIL...UCI%2BIA%2BUA%2BIEW%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=11&ps=63

The chips on the cartridges seem fine. I only installed the CIS system 3 days ago.

st86