Canon Pixma ip4700: Black pigment vs black dye

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I watched this video regarding a Canon pixma ip4700 CISS, and the guy mentions that there are two black inks for this printer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIBO-P9Y59Y#t=00m25s

The pigment based and the dye-based, and the guy in the video mentions that the pigment based can lead to clogging? Is this true? I will be printing fairly regularly as I am a college student, would this decrease clogging?

Also, if I were to print b/w text documents, which black ink would be used: pigment or dye based? And what black ink would be used for photos?

Thank you so much gang!!!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
the black pigmented ink is used when you select the plain paper setting. It is best for text printing. The nozzles for the pigment based cartridge are designed for pigment inks. I seem to recall reading that using dye-based inks instead can permit some leaking to occur in these nozzles. participants who have refilled the pigment-based cartridges with dye-based inks can clarify this issue. I am not acquainted with the ip4700 printer, but if it has duplex printing capability and you select duplex, even with the plain paper setting the printer will use dye-based ink for text printing.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
These issues are covered in the Inkjet FAQ's link at the top of this page.