Canon Pixma (ip4500) - When is ink sent to the Waste-Ink pad?

wileymm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
From what I've learned, swapping out the waste-ink collection pad(s) can be a hassle. The process is a bit complicated, and the reassembly of the chassis can be problematic. I know it can be done, but do I really want to deal with the mess and risk?

Is it possible to minimize the frequency that ink is sent to the waste pads? What activity triggers ink going there?

Though I understand that Canon says a "typical" user should never have a problem, I'd really like to know what a typical user really is. Seems like the context of that word can be quite arbitrary.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ok... some tips from my own experience of having a waste ink tank on an earlier iP4000 model printer.

1. These printers pump out very LITTLE amounts of waste ink period.. These are not ink force-feed-my-marketing-managers-budget Epsons.

2. If you print a lot using borderless prints there is absolutely no point redirecting the pump waste ink tube because your pads will get more.

3. Based on some stuff that I was sent recently by Trigger it's highly likely that the low pump pressure will eventually result in a clog in the tubing and then you'll have ink spurting back out of the park pad..

From what I've seen and read up on, recently you'd be better off looking at drilling a large hold in the base where the ink pad sits and then placing on something to hold the printer over a collection box or tray and allow any waste ink to drip though into the tray.