Canon Pixma IP4200 - Fails to recognize ink-carts

ClaudiuS

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
After a futile attempt to install CISS system I returned to use my old carts. Refilling as many times before. But now the printer refuses to recognize the carts (blinking 15 times with the alarm/reset LED).
Tried to clean printhead - no good
Deleted printer - installed again - no good
Pulled powerplug for a day - no good
Removed carts and re moved chip, cleaning it for clue, put it back and inserted carts again - no good
I still get these 15 yellow blinking, and printer not functioning.

Any suggestions (beside invest in a new set of original carts)?

Well that's what I did, inserted a set of new original canon carts. The flashing stopped until I tried to print. Whether I try to print on paper or on disc, the result is that it won't. Pops up an error-msg. that the outdoor for paper isn't open.
No matter how many times I look at it, it remains open. No matter what I try everything falls back to this not open/open frontdoor.

Any advice, besides buying another printer?

ClaudiuS

sarond

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my IP4300 where I get 15 orange flashes and won't print anything. This is the error I get

"Ink tank errors have occured.
Open the printer's cover and replace the ink tanks on which ink
lamps are off."

I have refilled all tanks and gone through the "press resume for 5 sec" on 5Bk, 8C,8M,8Y. I was getting a low ink warning on the 8bk just before this happened. I have heard that the printer wants at least one good tank that has not gone past the press resume for 5sec stage. (Which sounds like it didn't work for you)

When I open the cover all lamps are off except for the 8Bk which is what I would expect being that I stopped monitoring ink levels on the other tanks. The 8bk tank led flashes.

ClaudiuS have you found a solution to your problem yet??

I am thinking of going with an epson if this is going to be a recurring problem, I do love the canon printers but ink is just too expensive to be buying OEM all the time.

sarond

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ok... this is just wild assed guessing time but the following is worth a try:

1. Check your cartridges are clean and that there's nothing behind the chips (any glue or tac used to hold the chips in place will impede the LED and cause an error)
2. Make sure the chips are seated properly and on the right cartridges
3. Check for broken, bent or otherwise occluded contacts in the actual carriage unit
4. Check for problems with the printhead (consider replacing it)

As to the need for a cartridge that hasn't been reset that was something that we tested for and eventually found was just not relevant.. That's not to say that it doesn't crop up occassionally but the general concensus seems to be that some other issue is causing the error.

Oh and one other tip... Avoid leaving the lid open near any bright lights as this can fox the sensor and produce an error too..

sarond

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Websnail,

as usual very helpful info, this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

I will try your suggestions to see if anything helps. The problem is the printer is only 2 months old so I hope it doesn't need a replacement head yet as the warranty will be void now. BTW I have an IP4300

sarond

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all

my printer is going again.

Not sure if this will help anyone else but this is what I believe might have caused the problem.

FYI all tanks are skyhorse brand separate clip and tank design.

The PGI-5bk tank seemed to block the led from being detected. This brand of tank has a bit of a lip on the top. Please forgive the crappy ascii art.

PGI-5bk

lip -----> _________________
| |
\ | |
\ | |
\_|_______________|
^ |_| <---- outlet
led

When I press the cart down it did not spring back up properly hence sitting on an ever so slight angle and I believe blocking the light, as soon as I pressed the cart forward a bit everything seemed fine. (I'm not sure if the LED works in this way or not, ie. takes a reading from the top)

I'm not sure if this is 100% the problem but I don't care anymore it WORKS!!!! :D

Now I can feel a little more confident in buying a CISS for this unit.

Once again thanks for the help

sarond