Canon pixma ip 5000 and pixma ip 4000???

Inez

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the Pixma 5000 as indicated in my initial query in my original post. I have a friend that works at a store that is clearing out the older canon's and can get me a Pixma 4000 for $99 (5000 available) and I was thinking of getting it for a spare printer, in the event that my 5000 develops a problem and I have spare cartridges which I would be able to use in the 4000.

What I am wondering about is that the 9.600 dpi and the 1 pico liter in the Pixma 5000; would it be significantly obvious when doing photos on Canon glossy 4x6 inch paper since the Pixma 4000 has a dpi of 4800 and is 2 - 3 pico liter?

I spoke to Canon's warranty service depot and they said there would be some difference of course because of the specs., however they indicated it would be difficult to notice with the eye without looking closely with a magnifier. (He was talking 4x6 pictures which was my inquiry.

Has any member had experience with the Pixma 4000 and does it do photos reasonably well? I am not doing mass photos as I don't have a digital camera.
I am talking about scanned photos from my Canon 4200F scanner, that i might stick in the odd card when I mail it for a birthday etc.

Are there any issues with the Pixma 4000?

i have made my decision on the ink cartridges that i am going to use with my pixma 5000 as i am able to get the canon cartridges for just a little above wholesale via a friend who has access to Canon products and his photo shop.
So I will only be using Canon cartridges.

I would appreciate all experienced comments, thankyou.

i should say also that I do brochures with colour in them, however again not in bulk.

I have looked at the 4200 and 5200, but this Pixma 4000 being the price that i can get it at for a spare printer I thought that I should post.

Thankyou

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
A pixma ip400 for $99.00? and 5000 in stock? I'd buy 10-20 right away. Would you have his address???

I've been selling printers for 3 years now, and the ip4000 is a gem. I have also seen pictures printed with the 4000 and the 5000, and the difference in quality is so small, you won't notice it at all. If I were you, I'd buy 1-2 just to have for spares. And... I really am interested in buying a bunch...please let me know if I can contact that person.

Thanks

Inez

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry to start a misunderstanding, what I meant to say is that there is "only the model 4000" in stock and "the 5000 model is Un-available."

I was in a hurry typing this as there is only ONE model 4000 left and I didn't know if I should spend $99 plus taxes and the quality be very poor compared to my Pixma 5000.

I wish I could report to you that there were that many available.

I thankyou for your response re: quality and since you have indicated that there is little difference between the end results of both models I am going to jump and get this 4000. I thought that in photos 4x6 the 4800 dpi of the 4000 and the 9600 dpi of the 5000 might be so great that I should not consider the purchase. I am such a Noob to all of this.

I really wish that there were many of these models available and I especially wanted another 5000 but I will settle for the 4000 as I trust the experienced users here.

I was also worried that Model 4000 might have some issues that the 5000 doesn't have and thus decided to ask if it has any problems that the 5000 does not have.

Thankyou for the response and my apologies for the misunderstanding.
Regards,

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The ip4000 and ip5000 use exactly the same cartridges---On one hand, the ip5000 has a higher advertised dpi, it has a printhead with almost twice as many nozzles, and the ip5000 uses the smaller 1 pico liter drops in some printing modes. On the other hand few can tell the difference in output between a ip4000 and a ip5000.

And one of the downsides is the ip5000 is a higher initial purchase price. The other is--if you ever have to replace the printhead the ip5000 will be far more expensive.

But if you can get an ip4000 at $100.00 today---run don't walk--you can resell them on ebay at $150 or better.

Inez

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I thought I should do one final query here. The store that I can get the Pixma 4000 at for $99, just had 2 Canon Pixma ip 5000 models brought in and phoned me as I was planning on going over tonight to pick up the Pixma 4000.

I thought that I should post to get experienced users opionions. The store wants $239 for the 5000 which is a lot more than the 4000 Model; however I wondered based on users experience with both of the models whether the extra $140 would be warranted to get the 5000 Model. Being identicalt to the model that I have.

I do realize that the comments made earlier indicated that it would be hard to distinguish the difference between the 2 models for 4x6 photos which I would be using the printer to do and some brochures for my work. Not a lot of heavy printing and since I am a die hard Minolta/Nikon 35 mm camera fan I would be scanninig a pic with my Canon 4200 F Scanner with max resolution of 3200x6400 dpi and 9600 dpi interpolated, scanning the pics if I can't find the negative and the modes are: 48 bit colour, 16 bit grey scale, black and text enhanced. i thought that I should add this info, although it probably does not make a difference but being a Noob I thought the more info on how I plan to use the printer the better comments i could get.
The Canon 4200 F also does negatives and slides which i will likely do, but not on a large scale.

i just thought that I would post here one last time since this new opportunity to get the 5000 is possible, I wondered if it was worth the extra money or not.
Does the 1 pico liter and 2 - 3 pico liter make a vast difference and warrant the extra money that the store wants for the 5000 model.

Or is it like the posters last night said I won't notice the difference and that also the 4000 and 5000 are virtually the same and the 4000 is just as reliable and problem free as the 5000.

I look forward to comments as i plan on going down tonight to pick up one or the other depending on your experienced words of wisdom.

Thankyou for your time,
Best Regards.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ip5000 has a nozzle count about twice of an ip4000. It makes ip5000 a faster printer. For a same photo the umber of firing for each nozzle will be less on ip5000 then on ip4000 so ip5000 will last longer. But ip4000 is not a dog. If you buy two of them you beat the deal of one ip5000, that's what I will do.

Inez

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thx for all of the replies, I decided to go out and buy the Pixma 5000. Had the extra cash and like the unit very much.
Should I have a problem I will have the identical one for a backup. That indeed makes me very happy!!!

I simply don't like the direction that printers are going in and like this unit and its quality so that is the main reason for getting the extra one!!

As far as ink goes, I still have not made up my mind. Up here in Canada no one knows the brand of ink they use and I have used G & G on my older Canon notebook printers can't remember the model numbers one is newer than the other I think it is a 90 and the older an 80 and the ink is never dry when it comes out and smears a lot.

So I am thinking that I might just stick with Canon cartridges and not take a chance on the refill types. My work is the major reason. I really don't have time to be messing around with inks and don't want to plug nozzles etc.
It took me a long time to find this other 5000 so I don't want either one in the shop for repairs.

The cost of repairs will equate to the use of the brand name cartridges.

Just my two cents worth.

Best regards.