Canon Pixma Color Mismatch

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
jondave said:
There's only one way to settle this - a (shootout) 'print-out'. In the red corner, the purists (stock profiles, manual monitor/printer adjustment). In the blue corner, the technicians (calibrated monitors and custom-profiled printers). Who will win? :D
Actually, everyone wins. Each person can get as complicated as he/she wishes, relative to the result desired. Some are more than satisfied with going to a place like Walgreens Drug Store in our SF Bay Area for their printing needs. They have an automated system where you insert your storage media, make a few simple adjustments, and have an immediate print. Nothing wrong with this approach if you find the result pleasing.

I printed all of my B/W pix in my own darkroom for many years and discarded any print that was at all fuzzy or in some way not the best one I was able to produce. It drove my wife crazy as I was discarding prints of our kids. She was so please with any photo of the family that she wasn't at all concerned with the finite detail of the best print that could be produces from any given negative. She wasn't "wrong" as my discards were very pleasing to her. I wasn't "wrong" in discarding any but the best I could produce.

Bottom line - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

jondave

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
I agree. But what advise to you give to those not happy with the results they're getting?

Calibrate. Everyone calibrates their monitor/printer to get their desired results. Some are happy doing it manually/visually through trial and error, some can afford to do it through custom profiling. It's just a matter of preference.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
jondave said:
fotofreek said:
I agree. But what advise to you give to those not happy with the results they're getting?

Calibrate. Everyone calibrates their monitor/printer to get their desired results. Some are happy doing it manually/visually through trial and error, some can afford to do it through custom profiling. It's just a matter of preference.
All of this was covered in the first response by Grandad35 to the original poster. His references are the best guide to color management for those who wish to get their equipment tuned up for the best uniform results. As I said, each person will get as complicated as he/she wishes to get their desired results. Grandad35 has made the information available for anyone who wants to pursue it. Further "argument" on this issue is like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin! Otherwise known as beating a dead horse!!!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Having just read these posts, I see that the original poster "reet" has submerged under the onslaught, of what seems to have become a competition between the experts!!

I think what is needed is one expert to guide reet through the problem. I remember experiencing the same effect when I started posting.

Just to add my non expert contribution, I found:-
http://www.photokaboom.com/photogra...anagement_Photoshop_Elements_color_spaces.htm

A whole series of tutorials to explore, very helpful on the practical side.

With due respect to the experts :)
Regards Ian

jondave

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Didn't mean to beat a dead horse. I once went through @reet's exact frustration and I wasted a lot of time, ink and paper heeding 'expert' advice on doing manual adjustments, nozzle checks, changing media settings, and reinstalling drivers. Some get acceptable results through manual tweaks, some don't. But when all else fails, financial constraints aside, get a custom profile made and you'll never go back.

I'm even willing to get one made for you to prove my point.