Canon Pixma 620 Loss Again Of Magenta Weak Cyan

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I downloaded some CMYK printer test charts to follow up on Trigger 37 remarks on my previous posts that the print head was failing when put under load but was OK for a nozzle check. Well he was correct whilst I have printed 20 or so web pages since my last disaster nothing of great colour demand. I downloaded some solid strips of CMYK. When printed Cyan was fair Magenta was very streaky and appeared more rust in colour Yellow/black fine.

First I lost cyan completely, 1 nozzle check got it back then magenta went completely. I took the cart out put it into a clip and gave it a sharp tap on the counter (Mozilla tip) then I blew through vent (PeterBj tip) ink flowed freely from exit port. I re-installed cart is OEM top fill I.S ink but absolutely no magenta on nozzle check. I will of course continue to try and solve the puzzle My hunch is still cart feed since the head has only done 20/30 pages since the last clean but I may be completely wrong.

Any suggestions welcomed I would love to get hold of one of the older CLI-8 models with easier filling and better reliability. Those astute people who had the fore sight to stockpile when they were available made the right move. I have purged and dried a Cyan cart but not filled it yet but may not have enough ink left as all these problems tend to make your ink set of 5 colours out of balance. I have got compatible cyan/magenta on order

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Have you tried new cartridges, OEM preferable? Or, have you purged the offending cartridges, refilled and tried again? Tapping and blowing are great for foreplay but they may not be substitutes for resolving your issues.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried new cartridges, OEM preferable? Or, have you purged the offending cartridges, refilled and tried again? Tapping and blowing are great for foreplay but they may not be substitutes for resolving your issues.
I found this morning a New compatible magenta I did not know I had. However 2 nozzle checks 2 cleaning runs still no magenta. Will pull the print head again and clean it.

Some carts have been purged but I have a lot of used carts some bought from E-bay and some Octoinkjet but unfortunately I have not marked them in any way need to find the right labels but space is very tight in these printers.
Prior to putting in the New cart I also tried dribbling some Octoinkjet print head cleaning solution onto the magenta pick up screen but no difference.
Thanks for your suggestions will post any improvement, but if not soon this printer will be going to landfill.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday after I inserted a purged/top/fill cart the nozzle check was OK but I was still doubtful and as soon as I printed solid colour the cyan disappeared and magenta was streaky. This morning a nozzle check revealed zilch cyan. I inserted a cart previously tried and nozzle check after 1 clean was 100%.

Done about 20 pages today mostly text some colours from book pages I was copying, see the jpeg of test which was pretty good. On the print the blues were a little lighter and the grey square top right hand corner was a lot lighter than the original. Otherwise colours were in line with the test.

I then ran into a A4 copying problem see my seperate post

Attachments

• IMG_0002 copy.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 515

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I do not have a reference to know how to judge the quality of the image you attached.

Which color cartridge did you replace? Magenta only? How do you know the purged cartridge is OK?

This is a good reason for obtaining a new cartridge so that all question of function and reliability are removed.

Other things to consider:

1) Checking the purge system by flooding the purge pads with fluid to see if they can hold the pooled fluid and then if that fluid drains after closing the lid, letting the printer cycle and then opening the lid and checking the purge pads. they should have no pooled fluid and appear slightly lighter in color. If fluid does not pool then that is an issue. If fluid remains pooled then that is an issue.

2) Consider flushing/soaking the print head as thickened ink or an incomplete clog inside the print head may allow for perfect nozzle checks but problems from prolonged printing. The thickened ink/clog may allow ink to enter and pool within after the printer is inactive for enough time but the clog will obstruct timely flow of ink from the cartridge during a print job and streaking can occur. The ink is starved not due to a cartridge issue but a print head issue. Same looking results but different location of the problem.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I do not have a reference to know how to judge the quality of the image you attached.

Which color cartridge did you replace? Magenta only? How do you know the purged cartridge is OK?

This is a good reason for obtaining a new cartridge so that all question of function and reliability are removed.

Other things to consider:

1) Checking the purge system by flooding the purge pads with fluid to see if they can hold the pooled fluid and then if that fluid drains after closing the lid, letting the printer cycle and then opening the lid and checking the purge pads. they should have no pooled fluid and appear slightly lighter in color. If fluid does not pool then that is an issue. If fluid remains pooled then that is an issue.

2) Consider flushing/soaking the print head as thickened ink or an incomplete clog inside the print head may allow for perfect nozzle checks but problems from prolonged printing. The thickened ink/clog may allow ink to enter and pool within after the printer is inactive for enough time but the clog will obstruct timely flow of ink from the cartridge during a print job and streaking can occur. The ink is starved not due to a cartridge issue but a print head issue. Same looking results but different location of the problem.

1. have already checked the purge system as per The Hats request and it was OK.
2. Have changed both magenta/cyan carts, in fact have tried 4 different cyan all OEM/I.S.ink both top fill and the German method. The cyan cart I put in this morning was a top fill previously tried without success but today seemed to work, the jpeg has a good range of colours including blue and was close to my monitor so was a step in the right direction.
3. I had spent most of Sunday soaking the head and fluid flowed freely through the cyan channel through my needle scabbard gadget so thought the likelihood of the head being clogged was low. My optimism may well be misplaced and you are right.
4. Have some compatible carts on the way.

Thanks very much for your support

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
3. I had spent most of Sunday soaking the head and fluid flowed freely through the cyan channel through my needle scabbard gadget so thought the likelihood of the head being clogged was low.
Just because fluid flows through a print head does not mean there aren't any (partially) clogged areas within.

Again, the only way to discount a cartridge as not the problem is either with a NEW cartridge, OEM preferred as it is highly unlikely a problem exists with it, or you are able to uses a refilled cartridge, purged or not, in another printer without any of the issues you discussed. Some things cannot or should not be short-cut.

Otherwise, as a nozzle check may work but sustained printing shows a problem, then concentrate on the print head - once you discount cartridges as source of issues - and have patience in your soaking/flushing. One day may not be enough.

While you are waiting for your compatible cartridges you might as well start soaking again. Stop with printer head cleanings. Only print nozzle checks until they are acceptable and only then try sustained color printing to determine if your issue has resolved from your efforts.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer has been fine today once I got the A4 copy function sorted. Done about 25/30 pages colours normal. If nozzle checks consistently show black/yellow/PGBK fine and then you get either cyan or magenta missing completely, I would suspect the carts rather than the print head. I have used OEM/purged/virgin empty/top fill/German method and yet I get this inconsistent operation.
One minute fine next colours off and nozzle check is usually streaked do another clean and the offending colour always either cyan or magenta is gone altogether, and so the cycle starts again.

Maybe The hat is right and it is a logic board issue. I wish I could buy one of those cheap Pro-100 from The States going on UK E-bay but suppose voltage/plug/carts are wrong for the UK and probably no warranty either.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Logic boards tend to be binary in operation - on or off all of the time. A short in soldering may cause intermittent problems. A short in cabling/wiring may also. Given your descriptions I don't think the logic board is your issue.

The cartridge is only one consideration for your issues. If you have tried the suggestions concerning cartridges and still no success then we know it is not the cartridges.

Why do not think it is not related to the print head?

Again, nozzle checks only, no more printer cleanings, and concentrate on your print head with soaks/flushes are in your best interest. If you do not want to further attempt repair I understand. Logic board failure is very low on my list at this time unless there is more to the story than you've posted such as error messages or physical damage to the printer.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Have you tried a new batch of ink. I had light cyan colour shift problems which after much frustration turned out to be a bad bottle of ink.