Canon pixma 4000 w/new print head will not print

reklaw9

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i have read almost every post on the board about 4000 print head problems, cleaning etc. After much frustration and numerous tries I finally bought a new print head. Put it in put in all new carts and ran a few cleaning cycles and print alignment but nothing prints. Cleaned the pad in the rest section and did a damp towel check on the print head-- no sign of ink. What have I missed? Also changed the waste in pads.... Getting frustrated again and hate to give up..Help!

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
reklaw9 said:
i have read almost every post on the board about 4000 print head problems, cleaning etc. After much frustration and numerous tries I finally bought a new print head. Put it in put in all new carts and ran a few cleaning cycles and print alignment but nothing prints. Cleaned the pad in the rest section and did a damp towel check on the print head-- no sign of ink. What have I missed? Also changed the waste in pads.... Getting frustrated again and hate to give up..Help!
Are you saying the machine is making all the right movements and noises but no ink is appearing through the print head?

Why did you change the waste ink pads?........Did you have a waste tank full warning light sequence?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I've had that problem (only with the pigmented black nozzles) when I bought a new print head last year and a simple deep cleaning solved it.

However, If the print head shows no sign of ink on a paper towel, try the "windex" cleaning method: fold a paper towel, spray ammonia-based glass cleaner on it, put the print head on the wet towel. Push a the printhead on the towel lightly, then pull it back with a little more force. Do this pumping 3-4 times. You should be seeing liquid appearing and disappearing on the metallic pickup filter discs.

Clean the contacts with a dry cloth and put the printhead back.

reklaw9

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
headphonesman: the machine is making all the "normal" sounds, paper feeds ok , cleaning cycle sounds ok but no ink or printing. I changed the pads due to "waste ink full" warning and reset counter. Haven't seen any post on how to service the purge pump or a reliable way to check it. Being that this is a new print head I don't want to try too many "cleaning" methods until I know what is reasonably not working. Getting "gun shy" on experimenting. However, I need to print...Will try any cautious fix. Thanx

reklaw9

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
panos:...did several deep cleanings .... a couple alignment checks and a nozzle check.. The magenta now prints in both cases but that is all. Tried the hot water and 91% alcohol.. Maybe I need a few more applications of water, windex and alcohol to loosen things up? Patience and perseverance sure are required.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
The problem is that you ~need~ to clean the print head out of the printer one or another way because as long as you are trying to print with it you run the risk of heating the nozzles.

I tried the windex method myself many times a few years back, when I had troubles with some cartridges. I never harmed the printhead with it. I don't think alcohol is a good choice because it tends to evaporate quickly and dry things up -- although others have used it successfully. I just think windex is safer.

Anyway, read this http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1191 and this http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Your printer's purge unit is probably not working. It is unable to prime the print head. If you see no sign of ink when wiping the print head with a damp towel that's telling you that there was no ink in the print head. When you changed thw pd of the waste ink tank do you mean the large foam pads at the bottom of the printer or the samll piece of pad at where the print head resets when the power is turned off. If you have replaced this little pad check the pad again. It may be totally dry and leaking air. WHen the purge unit sucks air the purge unit may be sucking air through the leaky pad. As a result no ink is sucked into the print head to prime the print head. I have experienced this myself exactly after installing a new print head. I don't think the pad was new or even touched before I installed the new print head. It was probably completely dried up and had an air leak.

If you dismantled the printer to replace the large foam pads, the waste ink tank, at the bottom of the printer did you accidentally disconnect the vacuum hose connecting the pump and the little print head pad? If the tubing was disconnected the purge unit will not be able to prime the print head and you will have this problem.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I would also suspect the purge unit (pump) in this case.
The park pad will be dark with ink whether the purge unit is working or not.
You can syringe Windex onto the park pad so that it returns to white.
You may have to blot it with a few Q-Tips to help the Windex treatment.
If you then run a cleaning cycle and the purge unit is working, the park pad will be found dark with ink again.
If the purge unit is not working, the park pad will still look white-ish as it did after receiving the Windex treatment.
Capiche?

reklaw9

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks to all three for your help.... I tried the windex on the park pads and a deep clean, no ink appeared on the pads so the purge unit is suspect as you suggested. I will go back through the dismantle routine and check out the purge tube etc. but to avoid any other human errors I will do it in the AM.... Thanks again... With your help I'll get this resolved...