canon pg-210 vent

rogert

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is a very basic question, but I have read conflicting instructions. should the drilled refill hole be sealed or left open after refilling the cart ?
Roger

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Open. The cartridge needs that breathe hole. It was there before you drilled it bigger, it should stay there.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you did or how you refilled.

If the hole was already there, then you don't have to seal it completely. If you created a hole and filled the cartridge from the top, then you MUST seal it completely.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ThrillaMozilla said:
I'm not sure what you did or how you refilled.

If the hole was already there, then you don't have to seal it completely. If you created a hole and filled the cartridge from the top, then you MUST seal it completely.
Its one of these tri cartridges and Tudor is perfectly right about the hole being left open..:)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Ah, yes, I see the cartridge number now. As I said, if there's already a hole, you don't seal it.

rogert

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The label on the cart covered any vent hole that may have existed...My concern is, if the vent hole is open & the ink is exposed to the air, won't this speed up the drying out of any ink inside of the cart ? Just seems logical to me.
Thanks,
Roger

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The label covers the vent hole(s), but it does not seal it/them, air can still enter the cartridge when needed. If you look at the top of the cartridge you will see some groove(s) leading to the vent hole(s). When the label is put on the top of the cartridge, the groove(s) form one or more serpentine air path(s), allowing the cartridge to "breathe" and minimising the evaporation.

So in my opinion the proper way to refill these sponged cartridges is to gently lift one corner of the label with a sharp knife and then gently peel it off. After refill put the label back in place. If the label is damaged, tape such as 3M Magic Tape cut to size could be used as a replacement label.

I don't have a Canon PG-210 cartridge but the HP 56 is similar in design. I have uploaded a scan of two HP 56 cartridges, one with and one without the label. The red circles mark the air entrances formed when the label is in place.

If you have discarded the label, you could try to figure out the size and position of the original label and make a replacement from tape. You could also cover the top of the cartridge with tape, and pierce the tape with a needle over the refill hole, making a small hole instead of the big refill hole. This should also minimise evaporation.

6881_hp56-vent.jpg

Edit/update:
I checked some refill instructions for the PG-210 cartridge to find some pictures of the cartridge. One set of instructions is here: http://www.refillinstructions.com/Canon/C31.htm . In the top right picture it looks like there are some grooves leading to the vent hole. But in the bottom right picture it looks like there are no grooves around the now enlarged refill hole used to refill the cartridge. Instead it looks like the area around the hole has no grooves and is lower than the surrounding grooved/ribbed? area.If that is the case, the vent channel is formed by the gap between the label and the lower area, so by putting the label back you risk blocking that channel. Also it looks from the center right picture as if burrs are formed when drilling the refill hole. These burrs could block the vent when the label is put back.

If this is true, then I think the best thing to do is to take Tudor's advice and leave the hole uncovered.

Another set of instructions that circumvents this problem, by drilling the refill hole outside the label area is here: http://www.howtorefillinkcartridges.com/ , scroll down to see the instructions for PG-810, but this may make it harder to get an even distribution of ink in the sponge. PG-810 should be the same cartridge as PG-210 but intended for another part of the World.

So to find out what is the best thing to do I think pictures of the top of the cartridge with and without label are needed. I must admit that although the Canon PG-210 and HP 56 cartridges are similar in design, they are not identical. If you have already covered the vent with tape or the label, I think it is best thing to remove it. If the vent is blocked a vacuum will develop inside the cartridge and it will stop printing.

I hope my mistake about the cartridges being almost identical in design has not caused any inconvenience.
Peter.

rogert

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks PeterB for your great reply to my question. You went to a lot of trouble & I appreciate it. This may be quite helpful to other cart refillers.
Roger San Antonio, Texas

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you don't paste the label back too tight (but put back the label on the cart after refilling like it was before refilling), I guess the cart should be able to breathe like before refill, right? While you can circumvent and make the refill hole outside the label area for black, it may not be very elegant for tri-color cart.