canon pf-03 printhead cleaning

malfunction

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all, iv'e just bought a canon prograf 605 on ebay for 11 pence !!!!! it came with cartridges installed and a set of 6 extra cartridges. I picked it up today 400 mile round trip but hey sod the expense.
Ive plugged it in and it goes through the motions but when i click print it comes up with "execute printhead cleaning, if this message is displayed again replace printhead"
I was wondering if it's possible to clean this printhead off the printer and what would be best way to do it ( it's a pf-03 printhead) and 350 to replace
Have i been ripped off lol !!!
Just to add, even though it's been through several head cleanings the ink levels havent dropped at all, i dont mind buying a new head for it but dont want to blow 350 if it's not the problem. Is there anyone who can test the head or anything else i can try, iv'e looked at various head cleaning kits but some say "not suitable for large format"
Any advice much appreciated
Mal

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Mal,
There are two ways of looking at this situation, one is your got a real bargain in your new printer,
and the second one is yes you may have bought a lemon and the previous owner
has gotten a very large bulky duff printer off his hands for little or nothing.

The print head is dead so are you going to invest in a new one and take a chance that it will cure the problem
and maybe then you can enjoy your fabulous new printer.

There is also another problem in that when you buy your new print head and install it,
youll then need a maintenance cartridge (Another 50) and possibly have to install all of the extra other cartridges
to get it back ready to print, but if you do dont turn it off when not in use. (It drinks ink)

Now you may have got a real bargain but only time will tell, and if you stop now at least you could sell or use
the remaining new cartridges worth over 170 retail, this genuine OEM ink can be used in just about any Canon printer.

Decisions decisions and only you can make it, if it were me Id have a go and risk it
but there again its not my money and the recycling centre will gladly accept it either way.. :)

malfunction

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi The Hat, Thank you for your thoughts on my printer, iv'e had another play with it, put the new black cart in because it was showing empty, i was going to take the head out and soak it but now it says maintainence cart full so wont let me take the head out.
I think what i'll do is hang on for a while and see if head and maint/cart come up cheaper (tight git arn't i) failing that i'll do as you suggest and sell remaining carts on and see if i can sell printer/stand for spares.
Don't think i'll have long though the missis is already moaning about "that bloody great thing" !!!

malfunction

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just an update on my printer, I managed to get the head out after resetting the maintenence cartridge. I gave the head a soak in warm distilled water and using a syringe i fired the warm water through the head from the ink inlet to the nozzles untill clear water came through, I dried it off and reinstalled it and................................. nothing, exactly the same problem, printer goes through refilling process then comes up with "clean print head, if this message is still displayed, replace the printhead" feeling quite dissapointed as i thought the head was clear. anyway i had a look on ebay and someone selling printhead brand new and boxed for 199, it should be here tomorrow, have got everything crossed hoping it's going to work.

malfunction

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just put the new head in and it's working brilliantly, done a pic of the grandson on plain paper and the quality is staggering, need to buy some photo paper now.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
malfunction said:
Just put the new head in and it's working brilliantly, done a pic of the grandson on plain paper and the quality is staggering, need to buy some photo paper now.
Now arent you glad you took the risk, it sometime does work out. :celebrate
Congratulations.

Try Lidl for their good quality A4 photo paper..