Canon New Breed A3+ Photo Printer: Ip8750

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
A few years ago I had an IX4000, using CMY-mode for photo printing, but lacking the necessary photo black for extra contrast. Later on I had an i9950 using the CcMmYKRG printing mode, but no pigment black for text printing and now grey ink to obtain neutral black&white printing.

We now have the Pro-100 using a dye version of the K3 ink set, but still no text black for text printing like my previous IX4000 and the light colors seem to be consumed much faster compared to the concentrated colors.

Why use light colors, when Canon can produce 1 pol droplets to mimic the lighter colors very beautifully and without the slightest amount of graininess ? Using the concentrated colors is also much more economical.

Now there is the Canon IP8750: a cross-breed of between the Pro-100 without the light colors and using a dedicated pigment text black cartridge to produce laser sharp text prints on plain paper using:

Text pigment black
photo black
cyan
magenta
yellow
grey

BUT: the print head cannot be removed from the system (only in service mode). I wonder why ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
BUT: the print head cannot be removed from the system (only in service mode). I wonder why ?

I guess it is to prevent the skilled user from removing the print head to unclog it instead of having the printer serviced or buying a new printer.

This new printer uses the PGIx50/CLI-x51 cartridges that are opaque and for which no resetter exists. If the yellow ink is the same type as used in Pro 100, then the non-removable print head complicates matters further if remnants of the yellow ink reacts with the refill ink and clogs the print head.

I wonder if "The Empire strikes back" ?:confused:

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the printhead cannot be removed? The reason I ask is that prior to this generation that use the 550/551, 250/251 cartridges, users needed to unseal the printhead and then install it. For some reason, the printhead came installed inside the printer.

Looking at the user documentation I did not find instructions on how the printhead was to be removed. However, it was removeable but it is not as straightforward as before. There is some difficulty in how the printhead was to be angled in removal and replacement. It is possible that this potential issue forced Canon to place the printheads inside so that the user does not need to install because my guess is that there would be at least 90% rate of assistance required.

The reason for this is that in an effort to trim the printer and make its' profile as low as possible, the cartridges also needed to be as low as possible.
Couple this with integrating a flat scanner on AIO derivatives, and the printhead has to be tilted on its side to be placed in, and then swivelled a bit when deep inside. Newbies will have no clue.

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...226-or-525-526-time-to-hoard.7685/#post-59239

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
@pharmacist : Might it be worth revising the title for this thread?.. I was mighty confused by the use of Epson when you're talking about a Canon. Just a thought...

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
@pharmacist : Might it be worth revising the title for this thread?.. I was mighty confused by the use of Epson when you're talking about a Canon. Just a thought...

Just an epsonian slip of the tongue: correction had been made now