canon MX920

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Gang

I have this Canon MX920 printer and I have it connected wireless to 2 diff computers... Up until a couple of days ago it worked like a champ.. Now it still works like a champ but it has slowed down tremendously...I mean I can go get a snack and take my time and it just might be ready to print what I had it set up to do...It shows me the little box saying "printer is not responding" and if I leave it setting there long enough it will eventually print.. I am using Win 10 64 bit on one computer and Win 7 32 bit on the other and it works the same way with both computers.. I have not changed the settings on either computer or the printer.. I am using a Canon IP4700 that works great and it is USB wired to the Win 10 and so far I have not seen any time delay with it. I have checked all the setting on the printer nothing has changed there... I appreciate any and all help here..

Thanx....Gunny

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
HI Gang

Do you mean to tell me no one has a good answer to this problem.. That's weird..

Thanx....Gunny

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The most obvious is that the wireless signal is wonky for some reason. Maybe it is your wireless router. Even something as simple as moving your wireless router can alter signal strength. Maybe it is the wireless card/chip in the printer that is failing. Maybe it is interference of the signal, such as a new or failing appliance, or new furniture/whatever blocking the signal, or a neighbor with a new wireless router one the same channel as your wireless. Even a new electronic toy or a baby monitor can create issues. Etc.

Try plugging the printer directly into one of your computers. Of course you must have the printer installed for this to work. The idea is to remove the printer as the source of the problem.

If the printer is functions as expected when plugged directly into a computer then look to your wireless router and printer's wireless setup and function. You might be able to change the wireless channel on which the printer operates to use a less busy channel. Maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the printer and/or wireless connection may work.

There are applications that allow you to check wireless signals in your location using a notebook or maybe a tablet or smart phone. There are a variety of apps to test your network such as found here http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/netgeneral/network-throughput-testing-tools.html My notebook and Kindle can be used to test various location inside/outside my home for signal strength. For instance, I use Wifi Analyzer, Wifi Analytics and Ookla Speedtest on my Kindle. I think you can also install a version of the first two and the speedtest is run from an internet browser on a regular computer.

Seeing who in your location is on what wireless channel can give you a spot check of the more usable channels available. Too many on the same channel can mean poor performance as each of you may wait your turn to send data wirelessly. But you may be able to select a less used channel and get better performance. The key here is to test wireless channel signals at key times you use your wireless, such as before/after dinner, because people tend to use wireless, ie their computers, at regular intervals.

Obviously a lot may be going on to diagnose the problem. Just take it in small bites starting with simple stuff first to narrow down the potential cause.

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Stratman

Everything else connected to my Modem/router are working just fine I have checked the speed and it is right up there.. The modem/router are less than 3 ft away from the printer sitting on the same desk top....I have reset the router and no change in the speeds or the action of the printer.. Like I said the other printer works just fine of course it is connected by USB... I will try connecting it with a USB and see what that does...

Thanx.....Gunny