canon MX860 Print Head cradle loose

The Dudes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi There

Spent hours yesterday trying to install the fotorite continuous ink system. For some reason the print head cradle is now loose and juddering when I print, not just the head the whole thing is loose. it prints fine sometimes when using the paper tray but when using the rear feed it judders and some of the print blurs every time, when it was printing I also heard a noise like something had came loose but nothing is visible but the print head cradle can lift at right hand side and when it is moving back and forth it is rising up at the right side. When I first installed the ink system the printhead got jammed at left hand side with the ink cable stuck under machine cover at left. But with some poking and pushing I managed to get it to free itself and for a few prints it worked fine then started the juddering and bluring the print. When using 90gsm stock from paper tray its ok but when using 300gsm stock from rear tray thats when it goes funny. this printer has printed on this many many times perfectly. PLEASE PLEASE HELP I cannot afford a new printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The Dudes

First of all Im sorry youre having so many problems with your printer.
Now CISS systems are great to use when they are installed correctly and are used very regularly. (Daily)

I think most of your problems are down to poor installation either on your part or
from the poor instructions supplied or not fully understood.

Stand back and take a good look at your installation and read through the complete instructions again
because clearly you have got something wrong because the print head should not be moving around at all.

Power off your printer and try rearranging the tubing a little better to prevent it from pulling on the print head in either direction as it travels,
it would be wiser to have the cover lid open more to prevent the tubing from hitting it, its one of the major causes of blurred print.

I would advise you not to print anything till you can get the print head to move freely (Unrestricted)
back and forth manually (Unpowered) and make sure none of the tubing is hanging down in its path.

Then youll need to watch and listen carefully when you power on your printer again to print a nozzle check
and if youre certain that everything is ok then you can print away,
one further point is youll need to watch and maintain the whole system on a daily basis to keep it working properly.

Suggestion !

If you cant get the CISS to work properly (100%) then dont continue to use it otherwise youll end up damaging your printer.

Dig out your OEM 521/520 cartridges and refill them as a much better reliable alternative
to any CISS, you can use the CISS as a good source of ink..