Canon MX7600 looks very interesting

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Pricing & Availability
The PIXMA MX7600 will be available from April 2008, pricing is to be confirmed.

PgR a revolution in Inkjet
With Canons unique Pigment Reaction (PgR) technology, presentation-quality text, graphics and photographs can now be printed on plain paper, without the dangers of show-through, print curling, bleeding, scuffing or the images washing off with moisture. PgR brings savings to small businesses or workgroups with low-volume colour printing requirements: it consolidates all printing tasks as well as copy, scan and fax functions in a single unit; and it enables the printing of high quality materials on low-cost plain paper.

PgR works by coating the paper with clear ink as it travels towards the print head. Canon Lucia pigment inks bond to the clear ink improving saturation, brightness and ink fixation. The curling, ink bleeding, and show-through sometimes associated with colour inkjet printing is all-but eliminated by the chemical bonding of the inks, resulting in high-contrast, moisture and highlighter-resistant prints.

PIXMA MX7600 uses the PGI-9 (C, M, Y & PBk) Lucia cartridges used by the PIXMA Pro9500, together with two PIXMA MX7600-specific inks PGI-9 Clear for the pre-coating and PGI-7BK as a high capacity, high intensity black for document printing. Compared to traditional pigment inks, Lucia inks offer improved colour density, image stability and durability.
source: http://www.canon.co.uk/About_Us/News/Consumer_Releases/2008_News/PIXMA_MX7600.asp

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Knightcrawler - I don't remember if it was on the forum or the printer newsgroup that I saw the post - leave it to Canon to sell carts of invisible ink!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
fotofreek said:
Knightcrawler - I don't remember if it was on the forum or the printer newsgroup that I saw the post - leave it to Canon to sell carts of invisible ink!
LOL...

In other news there's this new baby too...
http://www.canon.co.uk/About_Us/News/Consumer_Releases/2008_News/Copy_of_PIXMA_MX850.asp

At a guess this "sounds" like the next generation for the MP830 and it has the all important printserver LAN port in it which the MX700 has... Will be interesting to see how good it is.. (Starts saving pennies for a test unit!) :)

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The printer will probably cost $500 and then the inks will be more expensive then their dye inks as well.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
there was a thread about ip6700d replacement i wonder what canon will replace it with?

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The new printers probably come with new cartridges do deal with.

Serville

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
While the color cartridge might cost about the same as Canon's current cartridges, I bet the new "clear-pigment ink" will cost a BOMB. That's easy to predict. It's a tactic. Not mentioning the new color cartridge & printer might not even be refillable anymore.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The Clear ink is used to prevent bleeding of ink on the paper and to prevent ghosting of the ink on normal paper. What I cannot understand is the fact they have 2 pigment black cartridges..... Why not skipping the smaller black pigment cartridges, since all the ink is pigment based ?

The usage of the CLI-8 Black is justified because pigmented ink does not adhere well on some types of photopaper, but now all the cartridges are pigmented. It would be better to use a gray ink cartridge to make neutral B/W printouts.

The Question would be: can the printer still print, if the Clear Ink cartridge is empty....???

Unimatrix01

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Serville said:
While the color cartridge might cost about the same as Canon's current cartridges, I bet the new "clear-pigment ink" will cost a BOMB. That's easy to predict. It's a tactic. Not mentioning the new color cartridge & printer might not even be refillable anymore.
I would bet that it's not or wouldn't cost any more than the cost of the similiar cartridge than when Epson did the same thing by using a "clear coat" cartridge that many people hailed and thought was such a wonderful thing.

The New Canon MX7600 is using the same ink formula, so while not really new, it kinda is in terms of this unit and two new cartridges, but the pigment ink forumula is the SAME as in the Canon Pixma Pro 9500.

The PG-5 is probably being updated with this new PGI-7BK pigment ink and the cleak coat cartridge in conjunction with how they describe the new technology as a "bonding agent" to the inks so that anything printed on plain paper will stand up just as color laser would in terms or smudge resistence and by using a high lighter; in addition, since "inks" are better for photo printing and produce a lot better color gamut than laser, the idea of adding the clear coat for this new machine makes sense since it's geared towards an office machine but producing the same, amazing quality photos that Canon has been doing now for many many years, breaking the barrier by being able to lay down the smallest ink droplet at the highest resolution over Epson and HP.