Canon MX700 alignment

martinz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi - hope I'm posting in right place here :(
I have Canon MX700 which has been performing fine when suddenly colour output is mis-aligned. B/W letters are fine. Cartridges were not touched nor cassette. I note Magenta CLI-8M is running low.
I have run manual PH alignment several times to no avail. Also I have cleaned cassette contacts and reseated all cartridges. Have run all maintenance tools.
See print-outs of alignment/settings

There is a distinct gap in column A and the other images shows total misalignment. Ironically I need to print barcodes in a colour image from Ticketmaster so accuracy is imperative!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated - its good little prn. Many thanks for your time.

Martin

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
That looks to me like a problem with the timing strip. This is an almost invisible, very thin plastic strip that goes from one side of the printer to the other, inside where the print head is. In fact, it goes through the back of the print head. Open up the printer cover and after the print head moves to the center, unplug the printer. Take a flashlight and see if you can find the timing strip. See if you can find any ink splattered on it. Then take some Windex on a cotton swab and gently clean it off. You can also just clean the entire length of the timing strip on both sides. Move the print head from side to side as necessary. Just be very careful, it is very fragile, especially if you don't know it's there. Let us know how this works for you.

martinz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
On the case and many thanks for the pointer - will feedback asap.

martinz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
right - can see two areas small that need attention. Windex isnt easily available in UK, we have J & J glass cleaner but I cant see chemical make up on bottle - the forum suggests car windscreen cleaner containing alcohol and ammonia will suffice. Guess I need to purchase some.

martinz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr - I thank you. There's a large drink waiting for you if you are ever in Brighton.
I would never have known about that cause and a repair would have cost more that the printer.
I used Autoglym auto glass cleaner (used by Jaguar etc), tested on safe areas first. Now run out of ink after all the pointless deep-cleaning. Wish I'd asked you first!
Thanks again mate.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
We love success stories. Thanks for providing the feedback.