Canon MP830 Purge Unit questions & several associated ones too...

speedracer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just got the 6A00 error msg related to the purge unit. After disassembling the unit I found one of the pads (long rectangular one) was missing from its' rubber holder. Found it - cleaned both pads and working parts of the unit - then reassembled. Question 1: when the purge unit 'runs' normally, does the motor reverse direction several times? I ask because when I manually turned the white drive wheel some 'action' would occur then it would stop - reversing the rotation for a few turns then reversing again caused another 'action' to occur. Doing this several times would move the mechanism (pads and wipers) through 1 cycle. (2) A couple of small drops of blue ink got on the clear ribbon. They are very small and slightly visible but still there. Do/will they have an impact on the system operation. Speaking of which what does the clear ribbon actually do? (3) With the unit torn down is there any way to power it up (just the base unit no control panel, etc.) to check out the purge unit operation before putting it all together? (4) Do the cams or the slots in the purge unit need any lubricant? (5) can the Floil KG107A lubricant be ordered or found at any regular supplier? Figured might as well lubricate all necessary points while torn down. Thanks for any comments given..

JoePineapples

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The clear ribbon is the encoder strip .. if it's marked badly it may cause timing problems with the carriage
Depending on the position of droplets is may or may not affect your print outs

Joe