Canon mp830 printing black half lines missing

benjerry

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I have this problem with the dark black color. When this color is used half of the lines vertically is missing. Like only top half of the printhead is being used.

Is this an electrical problem? All cleaning procedures didn't result in anything.

See this nozzlecheck pattern:

pcbkhalf.jpg

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
So, even though the conclusion is that your nozzle check pattern indicates an unfixable electrical problem, you can still use your printer by telling it that you are printing on matte paper. It will then use the photo black ink instead of the pigment black ink. You can do this while you decide what your next step is. The disadvantage is that your black-only printouts on plain paper will not be waterfast as they would be with pigment ink.

You should be warned that whenever there is an electrical problem in a Canon printer, you can never tell for sure if the problem is actually just in the print head (although most of the time it is) or also in the printer. There have been cases where putting a print head like yours into another printer has damaged that printer or putting a good print head into a damaged printer can damage that print head. You really should experiment with your own equipment because you don't want to run the risk of damaging a friend's equipment by swapping defective or suspicious parts.

The best thing to do if you want to remove all risk is take your printer to an authorized Canon repair shop, but unfortunately this will probably be the most expensive thing to do.

benjerry

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks all.
I've ordered a new printhead. If that doesn't solve it then it's going to garbage collection.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I think you have made the right decision. But please don't forget us here, we'd like to know whether the new print head solves your problem or doesn't make any difference.

benjerry

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I think you have made the right decision. But please don't forget us here, we'd like to know whether the new print head solves your problem or doesn't make any difference.
Hi. I'll post the result. The printhead should arrive today, so I hope to report soon.

benjerry

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes! I'm happy. I've installed the new print head and I have double height black back.
I've just printed a perfect nozzle check pattern.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Great, another success story!

Now, just to keep your printer going for many years, I recommend every time you replace a cartridge, put some Windex of other window cleaner or just plain water on the purge pads (off to the right where the print head parks).