Canon MP830 not printing black

LaDuelo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
So, I found this printer on a boot sale and risked buying it. I was very surprised to find out that it's fully functional and a seller didn't lie... Apart from one thing - it does not print black. I went to the Maintenance menu and did everything it had there. I even bought new black cartridges (CLI-8BK and PGI-5BK) and it still doesn't print black. I printed a test page (bottom one was done yesterday, the top one was done just now) and a picture (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/4064_mp830-purge-pads.jpg)
http://img683.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picturepv.jpg
As you can see, instead of printing black colors, it printed out some purple stuff that I cant even explain and the picture on the paper seems like it was printed out under an angle. What should I do?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
See this thread for the same problem with a similar printer. Please report back here what you tried and what was the result.

LaDuelo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I tried to do what it says there(http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5390) in post #4 but when I removed a rectangular pad, I accidentally dropped it inside.. Now I am stuck with my printer without its top part and I dont know how to reach the bottom where I can find that pad.

LaDuelo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Nevermind, I found it without accessing the bottom. My rectangular pad seems to be clogged because whatever I try, it stays black while the square pad is already white.. I am leaving the rectangular pad in a cleaning fluid and I'll see what happens. What should I do if it still stays black?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I've never seen one of the rectangular pads becoming as white as the square one but some will get a lot lighter while others don't seem to change much in their color. The important thing is whether the pad is clogged or will pass air (or liquid) through it. After soaking and rinsing, put it to your lips and see if you can suck and blow air through it. If it air passes easily through it, then it is OK.

Make sure you clean all the ink out of the rubber tray and then put your window cleaner in the tray and see if it will get sucked away when you do the on/off/nozzle check cycles.

LaDuelo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Okay, I will do it when I manage to reassemble my printer. Also, 2 newbie questions (I am new to these kinds of printers):
1. Why do I need 2 black cartridges in my printer?
2. Is there a service manual available somewhere on the net where it describes how to disassemble and assemble my mp830?

LaDuelo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Just reassembled my printer and did a nozzle check with cleaning liquid on pads.. Still no effect

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
leo8088

I have come across some crazy schemes to unblock a Canon print head before, but this one I think takes the biscuit. If I ever have a blockage with my Canon printers in the future I will most certainly give it a go. Thanks for this great tip.. :)

sticreative101

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have IX 4000 model printer. how to clear printer head? any one can help me