Canon MP830 ink sponge missing???

torch

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Long story, but after an extended power failure, I got an error code (6A00) that led me to disassemble the printer and free up the wiper mechanism of the purge unit by dissolving the dried gunge bunging things up. On reassembly, I had problems printing colours -- never a problem with the large black though. Cleaning cycles wouldn't help so I would remove and soak the print head and get one or two colours working, try again and other colours would work but the first ones wouldn't, etc.

In frustration, I turned to google and landed here. Didn't find the answer directly, but did find a clue to an idea that worked: with the print head sitting in a shallow saucer of alcohol, I used a soda straw that was a snug fit between the seal and the ink inlet to suck alcohol into each colour of the print head. Now everything works (some colour nozzles are not quite perfect, but I'll print for a while and see if things clear up any more before I go through all that again!)

Anyway, the reason for this post: I see mention of a rectangular "sponge" for the large black cartridge, and I don't have one. The square sponge for the colours is there, but under the black nozzles there's just a rubber "pan" with a hole in the middle. I was pretty gentle when I took things apart and cleaned, I'm pretty sure I didn't remove it. I went through the garbage bag containing all the inky paper towels and used gloves -- it ain't there. I've looked carefully around the purge unit with a borescope and can't see any sign of it hiding in the shadows, but haven't disassembled the printer again to look in person.

How essential is this sponge? Is it possible it was missing from the factory? Bear in mind that through the entire head cleaning ordeal, the large black always worked fine -- every nozzle. I've had the printer for about 2 years. It replaced an identical model (scanner died) and when I got it, I transferred over my Rihac CISS, so it's never seen Canon pigment ink -- strictly the Rihac "Platinum Series" dye inks, if that makes a difference.

Next question: is this a part one can purchase from Canon? Or do you have to buy the entire purge unit to get one?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You cannot buy the purge pad, as we call it here, separately from Canon or any where else that I am aware of. As long as you are getting perfect nozzle checks on your pigment black, then you don't need it. But chances are that eventually, maybe when you change a pigment black cartridge, the printer won't be able to prime the nozzles but if it works, no problem.

It's not a good idea to use your printer with clogged nozzles because the fresh ink cools the heater elements that are used to eject the ink. You really should only do nozzle checks and cleaning cycles while you have clogged nozzles.