Canon MP830 Firmware

nomad8u

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I finally retired an old HP Deskjet 694C and bought an MP830. I made this decision after pondering on usage (DW has need for a fax and scanner at home for her volunteer work) and figuring that I wanted something capable of refilling. During my research, I found this forum and after poking around here for a couple of days and seeing the overall success with the CLI-8 refilling, pulled the trigger on the MP830.

Anyway, on to the point of this post. The Firmware Version on my printer is v1.15 and I was curious if anyone else here with an 830 bothered to check? This is a pretty recent firmware version, as I found a Canon repair center site with a "bulletin" advising updating MP830 firmware to v1.13 posted on 3/23/07. After a little searching here, I found out how to do an Eeprom print, and since the printer is only 2 days old with 2 pages printed, I thought the printout might be of some use from a fairly virgin printer. I haven't gotten a service manual yet so I don't know what all the values mean (not sure if the service manual covers that or not) but from previous posts found here have some of it figured out.
From some of the reading I've done here, I'm curious how the printer (and Canon for that matter) track the fact that you're using refilled cartridges. I can see what appears to be a Date/Timestamp for the cartridges in a value that looks like this: CLT (BK=2007/11/11-22:58 CL=2007/11/11-22:58). I'd guess that was the printers "first look" at the cartridges after I installed the driver. Interestingly enough, I installed the printhead and carts earlier in the day around 1PM so this value wasn't from initial powerup after installing these items. I didn't install the drivers and software until later in the evening (obviously at 22:58). It will be interesting (to me anyway) to see if this value changes when replacing cartridges.

I found one other value of interest that may be the flag for using "non-OEM/refilled" cartridges. In addition to what appears to be a count on the cartridges (either number of time removed/replaced or number of replacements when they empty) there's an interesting looking heading that I think is the flag: IS(PBK=0 BK=0 Y=0 M=0 C=0). Of course this could also be an error count when not seeing a cartridge etc. but time will tell.

Has anyone else with one of the newer CLI-8 printers done an Eeprom info print? Were either of these values there? Are they on any of the older models without the chipped cartridges?

There's one other area that appears to have cartridge related data. Toward the bottom of the printout, there is a "major" heading called HDEEPROM which has several items in it. The one that looks like it pertains to cartridges is: IL(PBK=+03 BK=000 Y=+03 M=+03 M2=000 C=+03 C2=000). I have no idea what this is, but it obviously relates to the cartridges. It would appear that the M2 and C2 values indicate no PM or PC which makes sense, but this is a 5 cart printer so I can't imagine why BK=000 is there. None of the cartridges have been pulled/reseated since installed on 11/11 so this definately isn't that. I'm clueless on this one unless it changes for an identifiable reason.

I can see myself doing regular Eeprom printouts when I or the printer does something to change a value associated with the cartridges.:D

Here's a link to a pic of my Eeprom printout if anyone with an 830 has done one and wants to compare it. I removed the Eeprom hex data from the bottom of the scan.