Canon MP830 dead in the water

LetThemEatInk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a Canon MP830 that is dead in the water?

In the middle of a 2 CD print job, the printer went dead. No screen, no sound, no buttons lit up, no response to button presses. I unplugged it, plugged it back in several times - no response.

I removed the power supply out of the bottom of it and tested it. Best I could tell, I was getting 10.7 volts on all output pins. The label on the power supply indicates that I should get 24 volts and 32 volts output on various pins.

I called Canon parts, and they were very helpful and quick, and I had a new power supply in hand 2 days later for forty-six dollars and change, including shipping. I installed the new power supply, but alas, nothing.

Does anyone know if there are fuses on the main circuit board? Other suggestions?

Thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have had several Canon MP780's fail to turn on and swapping power supplies with known good ones made no difference, just like your experience. I think the problem is that the power supply is always powered, at least part of it is, and it depends on a digital signal from the power button to go through logic to eventually turn the printer on. When you hit the same button to turn the printer off, it doesn't go off immediately, it parks the print head first and does some other things and then turns off. I believe it is this logic, embedded in the main circuit board which is failing and I have no fix other than getting a new circuit board but at this point I think your assessment of your printer being a boat anchor is probably correct.

I took these printers to an authorized Canon repair center and they wanted a minimum of $250 for each one. The repairs all included a new main circuit board.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Remove the print head if you can and try to power it on again. Sometimes a defective print head can prevent the printer from powering up. If there is a short of power lines in the printer (including in the print head) it will prevent the power from turning on. Perhaps your print head isn't properly seating in the carriage and it causes a short among those pins for connecting the print head to the printer. The design prevents fire from getting started by a short of power lines. All computers have this designed in the power supplies.

LetThemEatInk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Per leo8088's, suggestion, I removed and replaced the print head, and even cleaned the contacts with electrical contact cleaner while it was out. It made no difference, however, and the printer is still dead, but good to know that can be a problem. Thanks.

I have a Canon MX850 at the office that is still fully functional, and it may be the same print head. The thought as crossed my mind about switching out the print head, but I have read horror stories of bad parts causing other good parts to go bad when switching things around like that.

I may just start taking the MP830 apart soon, to see what I can see. Unlikely I will ever detect anything of significance, but it may be a learning experience.

In the mean time, Ive purchased an Epson Artisan 810, as I need to print on CDs. Working now to get a CIS in it. (Ill gladly pay them the money for the printer, but I refuse to be held ransom for their ink.)

Thanks for the responses.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The MP830 and MX850 have a different number of nozzles so they cannot have the same print head.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Nope Man! A new logic card is what you need. Get a quote from canon and than search for a similar used working printer on ebay. Swap the logic card and you are done.......... Now you also have the 2nd printer as spares back up,

Cheers,;)

drdaveak

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
How do you go about changing out a logic card on the mp830? Mine just quit as well ... simply just lost power and won't power up.

yupkime

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a MP830 in which I messed up the purge pad under the print head.
Everything else worked perfectly before that.

If anyone needs any parts, let me know and I will get it to you at your shipping
cost before I take it to the recycling depot.

Just send me a list of what you need. :D

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You messed up the purge pad. What does that mean? Did you break it or lose it? Does the purge pump still work? Which pad is it--the rectangular one for the black pigment ink or the larger one for the dye inks?

If all it needs is a replaced purge pad, it seems to me that someone who had a non-functional MP830 could remove the purge pad and put it in your printer and restore operation. If you could get a replacement purge pad, would you continue to use the printer? I believe this printer was the best Canon all-in-one printer that used chipped cartridges.