Canon MP780 - Totally Dead - Any next steps before the trash??

davefr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Canon MP780 died abruptly. The entire unit powered off and will not come back to life. The AC power source, cord and fuse inside the printer tests good. I also removed the print head and this made no difference. It's totally Dead.

I'm just checking in to see if there are any interim steps or common issues with this printer before scraping it?

I didn't see any signs of blown components on the unit's PS board but I did not test them and like I said earlier 120VAC is getting to this board and the fuse tests good.

Thanks!!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
This happened to several of the MP780's I was maintaining and swapping power supplies with known good ones didn't help. I took them to an authorized Canon repair center and was told it would cost a minimum of $250 for a new electronics board so I let them recycle them at no charge.

However, after looking at another MP780, I see there is a battery for the clock and who knows what else, and I'm wondering now if maybe that battery went dead and if replacing it would fix the printer. It would be a cheap thing for you to try. I'm sure you're aware that the electronics board is located on the right side of the printer.