CANON MP760 prints greenish

Bob D

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a CANON MP760 which I mostly use for printing B&W Word documents.
This weekend I wanted to print some of my digital photos but suddenly all of them are printed greenish.
Even the greys are printed with a green glow.

I have seen several threads on this and other forums about the need to print color prints every now and then, or clean the print heads if colors have not been printed for quite a while.
As this was the case I did several (deep) cleaning efforts with the CANON maintenance programme, but this didnt help. Then I took the print heads out and cleaned them thoroughly (with window pane cleaner).
But this also didnt help.

Does anyone of you have suggestions what could cause this problem and how I can solve it.
I am using after market ink cartridges, but these did the job quite well before.

Bob D
Newbie on this forum

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Bob,

Green is on the opposite side of the "color wheel" from magenta, so a lack of magenta will cause a green tint. Do a nozzle check and pay particular attention to the magenta pattern.

This problem is sometimes caused by a defective cart that doesn't deliver enough ink to the pickup. Try a different magenta cart (preferably an OEM cart, if you have one).

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Bob,
Have you been using the same after market cartridges - from the same vendor? Could your vendor have made a change of ink? The reason I ask is that when I started using Hobbicolor inks, my first prints had a slight greenish cast - it was slight but noticeable. To correct for this I went to a printer profile made for the ink/paper combo I was using and the cast went away. If the cast is definitely green then I agree with Grandad. But I would suspect that you have already done a nozzle check and they were OK.

Steve W.

Bob D

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Grandad, Steve,

I was abroad for some days and didn't have the opportunity to look into my printer problem.
Indeed my ink supplier (Rilex.nl) recently switched to a different manufacturer (123Supplies) for the after market cartrdiges and in fact this was the first of a set of cartridges I had purchased recently.

I have done some printing with adjustments (extra Magenta) in the printer profile, but this resulted in the same greenish cast. So this afternoon I went to spend a lousy 12,99 (₤ 8,84) for a genuine Canon BCI6M cartridge and see what happened: the greenish cast is gone and all pictures look as before.

The question that remains is: are genuine cartridges of such superior quality that one shouldn't start using cheaper after market cartridges, or is it just a matter a bad luck with occasional bad ink fillings in the cheap cartridges ? The after market cartridges cost me 3,95 (₤ 2,69) so there is quite a difference in price.

Thanks for your help.

Bob D.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Bob,

The color of the ink used in "3rd party" prefilled carts is always a "roll of the dice". There are instances of ink delivery problems (which appears to have been your problem) with OEM carts, but they seem to be far fewer than similar problems with 3rd party carts.

Many of us prefer to refill because:
1. We know the source of the ink, and we know that it won't be changed without our knowledge (throwing the colors off).
2. It costs less than US$1 per cart to refill.
3. Since we are refilling known good carts, we seldom experience the type of ink delivery problem that you encountered. I find that I have to purge my carts after about 6-7 refills, however, to clean the filter and sponge.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I had a problem with a replacement cartridge for my wife's Dell All-In-One - the replacement color cartridge (C, M & Y are all in one cartridge) had Orange ink instead of Yellow. The supplier must have gotten a bad batch - he replaced the cartridge no problem, but we had to wait about a week until he got good ones in stock.
As Grandad said refilling or using non-OEM cartridges saves lots of money. But, for me, it meant generating printer profiles for the ink/paper combos I use. Actually what I saved by refilling paid for the software (Profile Prism) and a new Canon scanner. Actually had to replace the scanner even if I didn't want to make profiles. My old one wasn't well supported anymore.

Steve W.