Canon MP760 error message

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
When printing from rear tray I realised that the sheet of paper was going in crooked and grabbed it back out, before it got jammed inside. Bad move. I have now got the error message THE TYPE OF PRINTHEAD IS NOT CORRECT, INSTALL THE CORRECT PRINTHEAD I have tried turning the machine off and on without success. Tried taking Carts and Printhead out and re-installing it then got the option auto calibrate the heads position selected yes:( but nothing happened red light continued to flash. took printhead out again and when put back in when presented with the calibrate message said NO then got the original wrong printhead message.

Any ideas anybody?

barfl2

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The Hat Thank you for your suggestions (in PeterBJ post re manual errors) I have tried taking out the print head and carts as suggested powering down and restarting. I then get the message no print head installed install print head. I do this and the carts close the lid. It now tells me lid is raised when I have just closed it. If I turn power off it returns to incorrect print head message aagain. The other link did not help me because I did not have any bits inside or documents waiting. I tried it anyway and tried to print a nozzle check to no avail.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OK lets try another way.
The sheet sensor could have being knocked out of position when you removed the jammed sheet.
So try putting in a 50cm wide sheet into your rear feed tray and manually push it past the feed rollers.

See picture in this link http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=49633#p49633
More instruction there too..

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The Hat Thanks for your unstinting help. Tried the 5cm strip of paper as suggested. when turned on feed rollers fed it through. repeated again each time error message unchanged. So I assume switch not dislodged?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
barfl2 said:
The Hat Thanks for your unstinting help. Tried the 5cm strip of paper as suggested. when turned on feed rollers fed it through. repeated again each time error message unchanged. So I assume switch not dislodged?
Lets keep it going then.
Try it again and this time put a single sheet in the back tray after you feed the small sheet in to the printer
and try to print a test page then and only then turn on the printer last.

The only two sensors that may cause any problems are the paper feed and the top lid sensor also
on some Canon models there is a light sensor in the lid that can catch you out as well.

They are only little contact switches but the errors that they throw up are software based and they can
sometimes be a bitch to get them out of your system (computer & eprom), get the order right and they just will reset.

If none of these work I would suggest removing the print head and the UBS cable turn off the printer
and then remove all of the drivers and software from you system
Next thing is to reinstall the printer just like you did when you first got it new, in a nut shell start again
with a new clean installation I would even suggest leaving it over night before starting again..:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
If none of these work I would suggest removing the print head and the UBS cable turn off the printer
and then remove all of the drivers and software from you system
Next thing is to reinstall the printer just like you did when you first got it new, in a nut shell start again
with a new clean installation I would even suggest leaving it over night before starting again..:)
:thumbsup

Sometimes this can work a treat, even if it doesn't make sense at first blush.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Further to my travails with my MP760 I had a 18minute chat with Canon support very polite operator asked various technicans but no suggestions offered except they thought print head gone but contact CRC Tasktron for advice. This I did spoke to a young lady who said head gone, she consulted somebody else and they said the same. A NEW head is about 58 but no guarantee it will work and if it does not work will not accept it back. As an OAP I cannot waste money if it is not guaranteed to work

So do I try and find a S/H one ex a i865 IP4000 MP760/780 or if I could get the L/L end off the circuit board is behind it whether if you unplug the connections and re-connect it would clear the memory just give up and start again with something else. You have all your investment in ink/carts/sqeezy bottles/syringes etc. What Canon models are still relatively easy to refill ? the newer ones sound quite difficult.

Any ideas appreciated How are Epson regarded these days?:(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you still have the chance of getting the iP4500 then go for it.
The 4500 was the last of the old type printers before all the cheap changes were introduced by Canon
and it does take the CLI-8 cartridges which are very easy to refill so its all positives. :thumbsup
I wouldnt fork out for a print head thats not needed, your just throwing your money down the road.
I am not an Epson type person so can't comment..:idunno