Canon MP700 - "Wrong Cartridge" error message - won't print

bruhowes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello- I have a MP700 which I love & want to keep using because of low cost of ownership!
However, I am now getting an error message "Wrong Cartridge".
Here is what I did PRIOR to discovering this site:
Removed the ink cartridges, reinstalled. Installed ink cartridges from other machines known to be working. Removed the print head cartridge and using a QTip soaked in Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol, wiped the print head cartridge clean & reinstalled. All these, still same error.
Message is independent of computer, as I get same error message without the printer attached to any computer.

ruffin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 730
Be sure cartridges are replaced in exactly same position. You cannot place a CYAN cartridge where the Yellow cartridge belongs. They are not interchangeable. Refer to your manual for correct placement. Sounds like you may have mixed them up. Regards

bruhowes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
No, double & triple checked. Cartridges are in right location. Actually, problem arose during normal operation. Not after cartridge change.
Where cartridges go is color coded by Canon. Got to be a really dummy to get them wrong. (always a possibility though!)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
When the printer complains of the Wrong Cartridge, it means the print head. You will need to replace it.

bruhowes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Actually, I was hoping to clean the Printhead first, before replacing it. The printer takes 3e print cartridges for all ink tanks.
I have been looking for instructions on how to clean this printhead without success. Can anyone point me to a link?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't know how you are going to clean your print head or do anything else with it if the printer is saying that you have the "Wrong Cartridge". You could always run warm water from the tap over it until no more ink comes out anywhere but don't put it back in your printer until after you have let is sit in a warm spot for two days.

lanpho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I had same message w magenta in Cannon MP610. I pressed stop/reset button for 5 second and message disappeared. printer works again. hope it works for u. Good luck.