Canon MP620

gderreck

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Greetings
I am considering buying the above printer. I have a laptop with an Intel 2915ABG chip. I do not have a router. I am trying to determine if I can send print jobs directly to the printer without having to purchase and use a router. At this time, I won't have any other computers sending jobs to the printer. Can I get away without a router? I suspect Canon will say I need onel. I would like a real world answer from the members of this forum. Thanks in advance.

Regards

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If I'm reading this correctly you're wanting to use a wireless network adaptor to connect to your printer and print directly...

If that's the case then the MP620 should be able to do what you want but I can't give you a definitive answer... One thing to bear in mind though the MP620 is one of the latest breed with a completely new chip design and as a result refilling is the only alternative to OEM/Branded cartridges. If you're happy with those as options then you should be ok... but if you were hoping to use 3rd party consumables and save money overall then you may want to consider purchasing a USB wireless hub (belkin do one as do Silex) and then be able to connect older model printers (like the MP610 - usually purchased as a refurb) and additional USB peripherals to share or use wirelessly.

Hope that helps and I appreciate it's not a definitive answer but definitely worth keeping in mind.

gderreck

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks websnail. I appreciate the reply. After I have purchased the printer, I will attempt to print direct from laptop to printer (sans router) and report the result.