Canon MP620 (reffiling)

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Following the unfortunate demise of my Pixma MP760 in spite of valliant efforts of the THE HAT I have now obtained an ex demo MP620. It appears brand new and has a full set of inks. Also provided was a perfect nozzle check and a Canon photographic test print.

Some items are similar but hope to explore its wireless options shortly. NO paper manuals of any kind and the downloaded user manual runs to 812 pages. Obviously I am going to find refilling a lot more difficult than my previous BCI-6 carts, plus the chips. So will need a resetter. I also have some of my old BCI Octoink ink left . Only a smidgeon of pigment black but a full bottle of Photo Black. Would it be O.K to use up this old ink ?

Next will be refilling method, I have the necessary equipment for all 3 methods. i.e. TOPFILL/DURTSTITCH/FREEDOM with this more demanding CLI-521 carts. what do other members prefer?

I was thinking of buying 1 set of compatibles when the first refill is needed. The idea being that it would give me time to refine my technique. I was thinking of trying the Freedom method first so as not to drill the case in any way. I most say the low cost of compatibles surprises me if you only used them the once. Compared to buying bulk ink, resetter,spare carts. plus P&P. The main drawback is knowing the quality of the ink, and whether it is going to harm your printer.

Anyway any suggestions welcomed

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
If you read some of the old posts in here you will see many of the experienced members use only original Canon carts for refilling. Why risk it when you can be sure the original cart is made for the printer and gives the best performance.

Your best bet is to buy a couple of empty sets of OEM carts from Ebay, get the excellent Octoink and a resetter from the same seller.

Mine has worked flawlessly and the Octoink is very close to the original Canon carts.

As for refill methods, try all of them and then decide what suits you. I did top fill at first, then discovered that the German method suited me better and I had less ink all over me :)

A quick search of the Feepay reveals...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&_nkw=cli-521+empty&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Buy enough so you can experiment ;)

Oh .... one more tip .... reset your carts before refilling = less ink on resetter and you :)

Have fun.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Redbrickman Thanks for all the information. It looks as though the previous methods I used still apply apart from having to reset the chip. I was concerned that there would be possible more difficulty with the more advanced electronics and led lights on the MP620. Prior to the Pixma MP760 I had a HP C5180 and that used to continually warn you that you were using incorrect/used cartridges even though you were using refilled HP ones.

I have already noticed that the MP620 cleans itself a lot more and is noisier, but is producing some excellent output.

The main idea of getting 1 set of compatibles was so that I had something to put into the printer whilst I attempted my first refill.

Do you use different ink sets in your MP640 and your 9000 I also use Octoink but would like somebody to advise whether I can use this older BCI-6 formulation up or not.

Thanks again. I saw your post regarding the 3D printing very interesting, a bit different when I used to spend many hours putting balsawood kits together. Mostly ready to fly plastic from the Far East these days. I have also seen a similar thing done making a working wrench with operating screw. claimed it worked. These new technologies are going to be of great use for making a complicated protot etc.ype without thousands of pounds investment in dies and presses etc.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi barfl2

If you decide to use the top fill method for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges you should use low profile plugs to seal the refill hole. Standard plugs may block printhead movement and cause mechanical damage to the printer or they might be pulled out of the cartridge causing leaking of the ink. You find low profile plugs here: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Refill-Plugs-[Canon].html

Cartridge clips for storage/handling when refilling will also be useful, and I think a nice freedom refill adapter could be made from one of these clips: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Cartridge-Clips{47}Holders-[Canon].html

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
PeterBj Thanks for comments asnd suggestions. I already have some of Octoinks low profile plugs for CL-8 carts. I assume the ball size is the same ? Was thinking of Freedom method for my first attempt. I have built several Freedom jigs. varying from 1 single cart to a double taking a either 2- colour carts or 2 large blacks and finally a modified clip such as you suggest. This was similar to one devised by The Hat.

I only really tried the single on the pigment tank. It worked very well but the whole process took a lot longer than topfill/German. I found the necessary 60mm syringe a bit unwieldy and the seal on mine is very stiff. Choice of supply seemed very limited in the UK unless buying large quantities.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
barfl2 said:
Redbrickman Thanks for all the information. It looks as though the previous methods I used still apply apart from having to reset the chip. I was concerned that there would be possible more difficulty with the more advanced electronics and led lights on the MP620. Prior to the Pixma MP760 I had a HP C5180 and that used to continually warn you that you were using incorrect/used cartridges even though you were using refilled HP ones.

I have already noticed that the MP620 cleans itself a lot more and is noisier, but is producing some excellent output.

The main idea of getting 1 set of compatibles was so that I had something to put into the printer whilst I attempted my first refill.

Do you use different ink sets in your MP640 and your 9000 I also use Octoink but would like somebody to advise whether I can use this older BCI-6 formulation up or not.

Thanks again. I saw your post regarding the 3D printing very interesting, a bit different when I used to spend many hours putting balsawood kits together. Mostly ready to fly plastic from the Far East these days. I have also seen a similar thing done making a working wrench with operating screw. claimed it worked. These new technologies are going to be of great use for making a complicated protot etc.ype without thousands of pounds investment in dies and presses etc.
Two things.

The inks I use from Octoink I have bought as two sets, one for 9000 and the other for the 640. You can look at the Octoink website and buy a complete set for your printer.

Secondly, you mention the 620 does more cleaning. To avoid wasting some ink you could have a spare set of carts filled and ready. When one cart runs low you change all the carts at the same time, that way the printer only does one cleaning cycle instead of doing it each time you change a single cart. ;)

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Redbrickman said:
Secondly, you mention the 620 does more cleaning. To avoid wasting some ink you could have a spare set of carts filled and ready. When one cart runs low you change all the carts at the same time, that way the printer only does one cleaning cycle instead of doing it each time you change a single cart. ;)
Each time a cart is installed a cleaning cycle is performed?? Well I guess I have wasted a lot of ink during the last 3 years, no wonder my waste ink pad is 50% full :/