Canon MP620 - How to reset waste ink absorber?

Data

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm one of those unfortunate once who doesn't print much and have the nozzle clocking problem.
But I don't really care about that right now and just live with it (I also still have something like 3 sets of ink cartridges left, before I want to go shopping for a new printer).
Just lately another problem started.

I get the error 6C10 and can only print after resetting the printer after each page (which is really a pain in the butt).

I found somewhere that resetting the waste ink might solve this problem, but I must be doing something wrong.

Here is the post:

I found this at fixyourownprinter.com. Seems it works on most mp models and may work on your 620.

1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons. The Power LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.)
2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and then release both the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light
alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)
4) When the Power LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button the specified number of time(s) according to the function listed in the table below. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and
Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.) [hth: I believe the power button has to be pressed once more after cycling the alarm button to complete the action. The power/resume-cancel button LEDs toggle to help you count.]

Time(s) LED indication Function Remarks
0 times Green (Power) Power off When the print head is not installed, the
carriage returns and locks in the home position capped.
1 time Orange (Alarm) Service test print See 3-4. Verification Items, (1) Service test print.
2 times Green (Power) EEPROM information print
See 3-4. Verification Items, (2) EEPROM information print.
3 times Orange (Alarm) EEPROM initialization [hth: does not re-initialize Waste ink counter]
>>>> 4 times Green (Power) Waste ink counter resetting
5 times Orange (Alarm) Destination settings [hth: not applicable]
6 times Green (Power) Print head deep cleaning (Cleaning of both black and color)
[hth: 7-10 not applicable]
11 to 13 times Orange, Green, Orange (Alarm, Power, Alarm) Return to the menu selection
14 not used in servicing
15 Orange (alarm) return to the menu selection,.

Note: If the Resume/Cancel button is pressed 16 or more times, the Alarm or Power LED lights steadily without
any changes

however, I get stuck.
After step 3, I have the "service mode" screen and after a few seconds the steady green light and one line that says "Idle" on the screen.
No matter what I do after pressing the reset button, or any other button, however many times, nothing changes, no alternate light blinking or other options on the screen.

What am I doing wrong?

This might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back and I might have to go shopping for a new printer.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

bvdbobcat

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just contacted Canon for a 6C10 error on my MX870. The rep was most helpful and had to check the area around where the cartridges rode. I wondered about that and what he said was some times packing material or a part might come undone and gets stuck in there. He said most times when they get the printer back in for refurbishing they find something in there and that's what causes a 6C10.
I then mentioned that a number of posts talk about a waste absorber being full. He said no if it were a waste absorber, a message would come out on your PC telling you the absorber is filling up, but the printer would still print, until it got completely full and the printer would then stop completely.
So open up your printer like you're going to change a cartridge and with a flash light check both the left and right of the cartridges and see if anything loose if floating around there. It probably causing the return from going side to side.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The procedure you found only works with the older generations of Canon printers, like the Pixma 4000 and 4200 families of printers. Those older printers use the BCI-6 or the CLI-8 series of cartridges.

For the newer printers using PGI-220/CLI-220 or PGI-520/CLI-521 series of cartridges you will need a special software tool, ServiceTool_V1050. You will have to enter service mode operations from your computer using the tool.

Maybe this will also work for your printer : http://all-resetter-printers.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to "New Canon Resetter 2010".

I haven't tested the download nor the software, as I don't own a MP620. I found the info using Google.

A service manual and a parts catalogue will be useful, Google might find a download, maybe not free.

Good luck
Peter

Edit: As bvdbobcat writes it is not likely a reset of ink absorber will clear the error, maybe the EEPROM clear will do? Beware of changing other settings, especially the region setting, as you do not want your printer turned into a Japan model.