Canon MP610 ink tank empty message when it's still half full

Peter D Norman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
My Canon MP610 has performed beautifully for several years, and continues to do so except for one problem. When I get the message that the PGI 5 tank may be empty, it is still half full. I reinsert it and press continue, I frequently check how its going to ensure that it does not run out completely. When empty I replace it. All my displays show that the new tank is indeed full. When it's half empty I get the PGI 5 tank may be empty message again. I have been in this loop for the past six PGI 5 tank replacements. All other tanks work 100%. Any clues? Cheers, Peter

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Peter D Norman, It would seem strange that your printer would do that because it’s not normal for a Canon printer to bypass the cartridge prism like that.

What type of cartridges are you using, new OEM, refilled OEM, aftermarket or refillable compatibles.

This sounds most likely to be a cartridge problem itself rather than a printer issue because OEM cartridges are fool proof when it comes to ink levels and are never wrong unless interfered with..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I would like to see a nozzle check, as I think something is wrong with the pigment black section of the print head..

The printer calculates the ink levels in the cartridges based on ordered nozzle firings and writes these values to the chips. If a cartridge is still half full of ink when it should have been nearly empty, this could indicate that too little ink has been used due to clogged nozzles or an electronic defect in the print head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is definitely more to this simple problem than meets the eye here, but still that wouldn’t explain why the cartridge prism system is being circumvented, which as you know is theoretically impossible..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Check the electrical contacts on the print head and the printer and clean with a lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol, or you can use a soft pencil eraser, if mucked up or oxidized.

Peter D Norman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Thanks The Hat, Stratman, PeterBJ for your responses. The ink cartridges I use are Magic Pro compatibles. I haven't used Canon branded cartridges for a couple of years now due to the high cost differential. I will perform your suggestions and see if I can overcome the problem. Cheers and thanks, Peter

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The ink cartridges I use are Magic Pro compatibles.
When trying to figure out what the problem is, always remove any possible component, process or practice that may prevent you from coming up with a diagnosis.

Maybe the Magic Pro cartridge chips (or sponges) have lost their magic. I recommend you splurge and purchase a Canon OEM PGI-5 ink cartridge and see if the issue occurs again. In this way, you have removed an aftermarket chip and cartridge from the equation of printer malfunction.