Canon MP600 Inkjet Printer Faulty?

huangzhengliang

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey.

My printer is the Canon MP600 and I just got it 3 days ago.

Everything is working fine except 3 things:

1. In printer properties, under the advanced tab, there is the "enable advanced printing features" as shown in this screenshot http://members.optusnet.com.au/boyan...ed2_edited.JPG
If this box is checked, my printer prints gibberish, especially always when I queue 1MB and over files.
If it isn't checked, the printer prints correctly.

2. "Grayscale printing" should only use the black pigment ink tank, right? Well, when "grayscale printing" and "duplex printing" are both checked, colored dots mix with the black ink. That is, colored dots appear on text that would've been printed in color if "grayscale printing" wasn't checked.

3. After every printjob, the printer makes this noise similar to when you turn on the printer. For example: If you finish a printjob and then start another one 5 seconds later, the printing would stop in the middle of the second because the printer seems to always have some maintenance procedure after every printjob.

Could the printer be faulty? Corrupt printer memory?

Thanks.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Concerning number 2, click on the Inkjet FAQ's link near the top of this page and click on the second answer to the question:
What is the difference between pigment and dye based ink?
There you will find that dye color ink is mixed in with the pigment black on plain paper when doing duplex printing. It also will do this if you print borderless.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Well, I got Error 404 from the link. SO don't know what you are really talking about.

Grayscale printing may use composite BK/C/M/Y color ink still. Only if you set up the paper to plain paper it may use the pigmented ink for the grayscale printing.

All inkjet printers will move the print head to its parking pad to prevent ink from drying out of the nozzles, when the printer becomes idle for 10 maybe 15 seconds. By parking the print head it may also check if there is any jammed paper and if the printer mechanism is in good working order. That is why the printer makes some strange noise.

For some reason Canon printers sometimes stop printing in the middle of printing for a few seconds then it will resume and finish printing. It has puzzled me too. I could not find an explanation. It could stop in the middle of a very small print job. But it would stop for a few seconds then it would resume until the print job is completed. This is more likely to happen if you print something multiple times.

Once every 5 to 10 pages of printing (text) the printer will stop and do a cleaning cycle to prime the print head then continue printing. Because of this you can invoke a large print job, for example a hundred pages, and need not to worry if the ink flow will suddenly change (reduced) in the middle of printing.

huangzhengliang

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry. The link is http://members.optusnet.com.au/boyanghuan1/untitled2_edited.JPG
My real purpose is to know what "enable advanced printing features does". As described in my initial post, if this box is ticked, the printer prints gibberish, where some say it's printer language, but if it isn't ticked, then printing is fine. Some have said it could be the cause of corrupt memory (printer or computer or both?).

I see. Does it use less pigment ink to allow quicker drying when duplex printing?

Thx

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The consensus is that the reduction in pigment ink on plain paper when doing duplex printing and adding dye magenta and cyan is to reduce "show-through" which is the ability to see the image on the opposite side of the paper. Here is the link that discusses this subject:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7953#p7953

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Tin Ho said:
For some reason Canon printers sometimes stop printing in the middle of printing for a few seconds then it will resume and finish printing. It has puzzled me too. I could not find an explanation. It could stop in the middle of a very small print job. But it would stop for a few seconds then it would resume until the print job is completed. This is more likely to happen if you print something multiple times.
I believe the reason for the pausing is your printer is faster than your computer and/or the interface. When I print from my relatively slow (1GHz) laptop to my i9900, there are momentary pauses in the middle of some printouts. However, when I print from my much faster (2.2GHz) desktop, there are no pauses for the same printouts.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Tin Ho,

I agree with ghwellsjr that it is probably a limitation in your computer, as large amounts of data must be transferred to the printer while printing. When I spool multiple sheets from Qimage with one of its advanced uprezzing routines, most of the computer's time is taken up by Qimage. The printer will make a single pass, wait a few seconds, make another pass, ... As soon as all of the pages are processed by Qimage, the printer resumes printing at full speed.