Canon MP560 uses a lot of ink

megabyte

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have had this Canon from new for just over a year. On my old Epsom I used to print in draft to save ink. I thought 'greyscale' was the same for this Canon, but they informed me that it uses colour. So for the past year I have printed about 4 copies a month in black & white 'fast speed' with about 4 a for the year in colour.

Since I use it so infrequently, I turn the printer off after using it. I have gone through 3 complete sets of ink in this time! I must be doing something wrong.......no?

Can someone help please!

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If you use it just time to time, you might get you cartridges clogged, make sure you prevent that.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
megabyte said:
I have had this Canon from new for just over a year. On my old Epsom I used to print in draft to save ink. I thought 'greyscale' was the same for this Canon, but they informed me that it uses colour. So for the past year I have printed about 4 copies a month in black & white 'fast speed' with about 4 a for the year in colour.

Since I use it so infrequently, I turn the printer off after using it. I have gone through 3 complete sets of ink in this time! I must be doing something wrong.......no?

Can someone help please!
Since you use your printer so little, saving ink while printing is a lost cause because
it wastes more on start up and cleaning than it does on actual printing.

I would suggest you get yourself some filled compatible cartridge from a reliable source
and that would save you a considerable amount of money,
then you wouldnt be so worried about the ink costing so much.

A colour laser printer might be another option for you to consider..:)

megabyte

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have never been comfortable with using compatibles.

Since I am spending so much money and not using the printer, what would you think if I left it on either all of the time or maybe turning it off after 7 days until I need it again, and then leave it for another 7 days (etc).............and also do more printing!?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I suggest you get a balance (aka a "scale") and weigh the cartridges periodically, so you can find out exactly how much ink it uses for different maintenance and storage operations. It's a little hard to know exactly what those darned things are doing, and that might give you a better idea of what's going on. If you get interesting results, you can post them. On my own printer, I found that removing a cartridge, weighing it, replacing and reweighing consumed almost no ink, so the act of weighing did not cause much disturbance.

A 100 g balance with 0.01 g resolution (sensitivity) will do the job. You can get one from Amazon.com for under $20, thanks to millions of Chinese young people slaving away night and day for $.05/hour. You may also find the scale will be useful if you refill your cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
megabyte said:
I have never been comfortable with using compatibles.

Since I am spending so much money and not using the printer, what would you think if I left it on either all of the time or maybe turning it off after 7 days until I need it again, and then leave it for another 7 days (etc).............and also do more printing!?
I wouldnt have suggested compatibles if I didnt think they would work for you.
There are good brands of compatibles and also junk brands the price should tell which.

The ones for only ten dollars with free delivery for instance, thats why I also suggested a reliable source.
Compatibles cartridges work very well and are good value for money
when you dont have the time to refilling OEM cartridges yourself.

So long as you only use them once and not refill them,
because thats usually where the trouble starts.

The only way to cut down on printer maintenance is to leave your printer on 24/7
I never use that option myself in fact mine go off 15 minutes after they stop printing.

but I know other that says it works for them so there may be some gain in it for you..

megabyte

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry this took so long!

Thrilla, the scale idea is fantastic. I will definitely try this when I move into my new house. For the moment, everything is in storage and I am trying not to purchase anything until I settle down because the place I am renting is extremely small - even for a small set of scales!

Hat, you have given me that little push. I am going to go compatible and do as you suggested. I have not turned the printer off since you posted and I am finally using the printer rather than grunting at the thought of plugging it in and waiting for it to warm up - so I rarely printed.

Thank you very much!