Canon MP560 doesn't print black - black purge pad doesn't drain fluid

Roller

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP560
Hello!

I would really appreciate it if you could help me with the following: my Canon Mp560 printer doesn't print from the big black cartridge, but the 'photo' colour cartridges are fine. I have tried the following already without result:

• I have soaked the printhead clean, and put a new cartridge in the printer. It doesn't give an error message, but if I print grayscale, I get a white sheet of paper as a result.
  • I bought isopropyl alcohol and put drops of it onto the purgepads (a smaller square one and a narrow long rectangular one at the right of the printer). The smaller square purgepad does absorb the isopropyl alcohol, but the other one doesn't. So I'm guessing that it's the rectangular longer black purgepad is stuffed/full etc, am I correct?
  • Did the nozzle check: first raster pattern of black cartridge is missing, but rest of the colour stripes are fine in the nozzle check. I can still print colour photo's.
  • I tried several times the automatic cleaning programs of Canon (accessed it via menu of printer), but it only eats up a lot of ink - it doesn't seem to help me in this case.
How do I proceed now? Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
For now, do not print anything other than nozzle checks or else you risk burning out the print head. Also, no more soaks or cleaning cycles until further advice.

Please post an image of your nozzle check.

So if you uncheck "Greyscale" then text printing - all print output - is good?

The longer rectangle purge pad is for your Pigment Black cartridge. The following image is from a Canon Pixma MG8120B but it applies to you as well.

2013-03-18_233430_4064_mp830-purge-pads.jpg

To check the purge system:
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/urgent-help-canon-ip4920.7972/page-4#post-66333

The following link may be of interest to you:
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-mp560-wont-print-from-large-black-cartridge.6152/

Roller

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP560
Thank you! I know, it's only the Pigment black pad that doesn't drain the isopropyl alcohol that I drip on the two pads. If I say that I want to print a photo (so it uses the small coloured+black cartridges), then I can print well. So I guess it's the black pigment pad that gives me the problem.

Roller

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP560
Nozzle check: first raster that only uses black big cartridge does not appear, rest of the coloured/black stripes are fine of the Nozzle check. What do I do next?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe the pad for the pigment black is clogged? You could try to remove and clean it with a window cleaner with ammonia. Be very careful not to drop the pad into the printer. For proper reinsertion of the pad see this post.

Roller

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP560
How do I remove the pad? It seems pretty stuck...do I run the risk of not getting it back in and ruining the colour pad too? Never have done this before! Thank you for all your fast replies and help!!!