Canon mp550 - not recognised error!

oblue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'have gone through the posts but my problem is slighlty different than many of those "not recognised" errors. I am using refillable auto reset cartridges and place them into their slots, red light comes on. So, chips make a good contact, no problem with that.

After they are installed, I can print a few times then when I try to print another page, I receive this "not recognised" error for only two of the cartridges: yellow and black (dye). I remove and insert them into their slots, and having done that I immediately receive an error message for only either black or yellow or both. And sometimes, it lest me print tens of pages and then gives the error message, again, for either black or yellow or both. Strange but true.

Assuming that it may be cartridges with bad chips, I used the original cartridges but didn't have any problem. I am tired of banging my head against the keyboard trying to solve this problem but no chance.

Did any of you had the similar problem, if so how sorted it out?
Any help appreciated...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
oblue
I have never found those auto reset chips affective except on CISS cartridges.
I would suggest that you only use the OEM cartridges and refill them, and then your problems would be few..:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sounds like you already know the problem and solution.

If your printer functions appropriately with OEM Canon cartridges but errors out when using the auto-reset chipped cartridges, then the auto-reset chips are malfunctioning.

You will need to replace them or purchase a chip resetter and use only OEM Canon cartridges to minimize problems in the future.

There are no aftermarket cartridges that outperform OEM Canon, and, eventually, (many/most/all?) appear to underperform significantly per reports on this forum.

FYI - Even OEM Canon factory new cartridges can error out with the chip "not recognized".

oblue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Actually I have already replaced them but the problem still continues. The thing I cannot understand is if it is the chips that are mulfunctioning, they either work or not. In my case, they are sometimes recognised and at other times not. Anyway, I think I'll go for the OEMs and buy a chip resetter, and hope that the resetter doesn't let me down.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
oblue said:
Actually I have already replaced them but the problem still continues. The thing I cannot understand is if it is the chips that are mulfunctioning, they either work or not. In my case, they are sometimes recognised and at other times not.
This happened to me, and others, with factory fresh OEM Canon cartridges too - sometimes work, sometimes not. It's a bad chip for whatever reason. No one knows why, AFAIK, but the result is the same: Unpredictable work stoppages.

Anyway, I think I'll go for the OEMs and buy a chip resetter, and hope that the resetter doesn't let me down.
If new OEM Canon cartridges always work, then using the OEM Canon cartridges plus the appropriate chip resetter would be the way I would go. Otherwise, if the malfunction occurs despite using multiple new OEM Canon Cartridges then the problem is the printer. By "multiple", I mean at least two different new OEM Canon cartridges to rule out the rare possibility that the first cartridge also suffers the malfunction described above.

Just curious, have you made sure that the chips are afixed and aligned properly and that the chips and all surfaces that interface with the chips are free of debris and ink? If yes, and the above conditions are met, then the issue is bad chips.

oblue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just curious, have you made sure that the chips are afixed and aligned properly and that the chips and all surfaces that interface with the chips are free of debris and ink?
Yes, everything is OK and they are free from all sort of dirt. In fact, if this was the case, the printer wouldn't recognise the original ones as well (I think).

Many thanks for the hand. :)