Canon Mp520 color split

Phil3313k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP520
File0013.JPG
Hello: I have a canon IP520. The printer prints all colors including black . The magenta prints, but on print tests, the line is divided horizontaly with the bottom half dark and the top much lighter. I have removed the print head, cleaned it thoroughly and it is exactly the same. Replaced the ink tank, no change. On color prints there are horizontal light and dark magenta lines all through the picture.
Any thoughts? Thanks, Phil

See attached photo

Attachments

• IMG_0001_NEW.jpg
    IMG_0001_NEW.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Phil,

What you are describing doesn’t sound good at all so it would be better if you could post up a scan of your nozzle check so we can make a better judgment on it, in the mean time don’t do any more colour printing till you can get your problem sort. No colour photos just text black..

Phil3313k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP520
I just sent up a photo of the problem. Thanks, Phil

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The photo suggests an electronic print head failure, but a photo or a scan of a nozzle check from the printer driver's maintenance tab is much better for determining if this is an electronic failure. Could you upload a such picture?

Phil3313k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP520
Here is the test. I am new to this site and have trouble determining just how to respond. Phil

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes this is an electronic failure, and only a new print head might help. There is a risk that the defective print head has damaged the the printer's logic board, and a damaged logic board can damage a new print head. So replacing the print head is a gamble, and sadly I cannot tell you the odds for success. If you want to search for a new print head the parts number is QY6-0070.

There is a slight chance that the defect is caused by a bad contact between the circuit board on the back of the print head and the contact springs in the print head carriage, so you could try cleaning the golden contact pads on the back of the print head and the contact springs in the print head carriage with a cloth moistened with an electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol.

Phil3313k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP520
Many thanks for info and your time. I purchased this printer recently for $15. I have a 7200 canon for color, and can use this one for B&W. The scanner works fine and the B&W is real good. I will try cleaning the contacts. You have been most helpful!!!!! Phil