Canon MP510

fdc7446

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have just aquired a Canon MP510 and would like a little advice.. It has four (4) carts, a PGI-5 (black) and three CLI (M-C-Y).
As I understand it the PGI is pigmented ink. Is this correct? And the CLI is dye ink? Correct?
I wanted to know so I can order the correct ink for filling.
Thanks
FDC

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Correct...

Interesting though that the MP510 only has 4 rather than 5 cartridges... They must have decided the photo black was just pointless.

fdc7446

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I had ordered some ink but I did it wrong and got a PGI black and a CLI black so I figured one was dye ink one was pigmented.
Thanks
fdc

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
fdc7446 said:
Thanks for the update. I had ordered some ink but I did it wrong and got a PGI black and a CLI black so I figured one was dye ink one was pigmented.
Thanks
fdc
From what I've heard you can use the dye ink instead of the Pigment in the PG5BK cart but you should never mix them so I'd stick to the pigment if you can.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
please note that there are there are THREE different blacks. One is dye for the CLI and integrated photo cartridges and two are pigmented for the current Canons. the integrated cartridges use a different pigment ink from the PG line. Make sure your vendor ships you the correct ink or they are not doing you any favors.

fdc7446

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks guys Boy remember how simple life used to be?