Canon MP510 Ink Level Display

desordre

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer: Canon PIXMA MP510

Problem: Refilled all OEM ink cartridges
Ink level indicators read no ink in cartridges (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow)
Ink level indicator reads low ink in Black cartridge
Get message that "Ink may have run out, Do not print"

Solution: Override the system by using the "OK" button on printer.
Proceeds to print beautiful photographs and graphics.

Question: Does overriding the system cause problems for the printer?
Should I try to reset the ink level indicators to show 100% full?
( I don't mind visually inspecting the cartridges instead of relying on the readouts)
How do I reset the system? (Canon CLI-8C,M,Y and PGI-5BK chipped cartridges)
Should I use the empty cartridge then full cartridge method of resetting, found here on this forum, or is there a better method that I have missed?

Thank you,
Desordre

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
The chips on these cartridges cannot be reset by the consumer so there is no way to reset your ink levels. You will have to individually bypass the ink level sensing on each cartridge. You'll get a warning that you could void your warranty by refilling your cartridges. If you replace the cartridges with new oem cartridges, or the refilled and reset cartridges from Atlantic, your ink level indicators will work again. Atlantic has a chip mresetter and is able to reset the chips on the CLI 8 and PGI-5BK cartridges and charges abround $7.50 for the dye based carts and $8.50 for the pigment based carts. Their cartridges are refilled oem units.

desordre

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
billkunert-

Thank you for the information. I will checkout Atlantic Inkjet for their cartridges.

Desordre

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just to clarify, Atlantic Inkjet does not actually have a resetter for these chips. They order the cartridges from another remanufacture. Altlantic Inkjet resells them only.