canon mp160 ciss

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I replaced the sent cartridge with a standard mp160 - c-41 tri color ink cartridge because the bubble jet for the yellow wasn't firing. Running the printer through a test cycle advanced the ink through the silicone tubes. When the printer is left standing, the ink siphons back to the tank. I must run a clean cycle or print at least 6 sheets for the ink flow to be re-established. the bottom of the ink tank is approximately even with the printheads or slightlybelow the head. how do I prevent this back siphoning? I don't want the print cartridge to go dry!

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
This ciss ignoramus will bump for you before your zero-reply thread falls off the bottom of the "Recent Posts".

Your post mentions the printer (good), but please consider updating your profile with at least that info and your location. "Help us to help you", especially if this thread gets longer.

Try doing a search for something like
"canon ciss" from perhaps an Inkjet Masters with CISS in their signature

My uninformed opinion is the concensus is that Canon and CISS don't usually work well together. That seems to be mostly applicable for single-color tanks like BCI-6, CLI-8, 221, etc. based printers.

This tri-color ignoramus can understand the appeal of getting CISS to work with a tri-color cart, but the other concensus seems to be that tri-color carts are unsuitable for refilling. I suppose it can be done, but so can draining a bathtub with a spoon.

Try a search for [c41 | c-41 | mp160] and ciss and see if anything shows up other than yours.

Drum roll .........

zip

Not meaning to add to your frustration, but what does that tell you?

My 2 worth. Consider the source.

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Your post didn't help me in the least. The ciss I ordered and installed worked for three years before any problems came up. Upon examining the source, they said the system is in warranty for one year. I purchased a c-41 cartridge and drilled out the holes for the cyan, magenta, and yellow compartments. I replaced the silicone bushings and the ink tubes and other than back siphoning the print head is working.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Sorry for not having a solution to all your problems.

I've reviewed your OP's, and it would appear you've had nothing but trouble with several CISS's over the years. Have I got you confused with someone else who buys el cheapo specials at Walmart?

AFAICT regarding tri-color c-41's and reliable CISS, "you can't get there from here". Your posts over the years are "Exhibit 1" for that assertation.

Your best bet might be to see if you can sell the c-41 based printer and start over with something compatible with what you are trying to accomplish.

Which is?

What kind of printing in what kind of quantities?

Or use the "Mp160 or iP2600" for very light duty printing like others have recommended.

Hmmmmm ... the Canon webpages indicates the Mp160 uses CL-41 carts and the iP2600 uses CL-31 carts? Are you sure the print-heads are compatible? They both have a total of 1472, so perhaps ok. But to this tri-color ignoramus, that seems like a red flag.

Thanks for updating your profile ... so my post did help you more than not in the least :)

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You must have me confused with someone else. While I do use a Walmart special, I really haven't had a problem until the yellow nozzles wouldn't fire. That is when I decided to use a stock c-41 cartridge.