Canon MP 610 odd behaviour ?

duncan22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
During the past few months my Canon MP 610 has turned off if it has been idle for more than a few minutes. I am not talking about the automatic shutdown which happens when the printer has not been in use for a few minutes and automatically responds when a print job is sent to it. The printer actually turns off and the message appears "printer is off line". by pressing the on button it comes back on and never switches off in the middle of printing.
The only think I have changed is my OS system from XP to Windows 7.... I Have updated the drivers for the printer but the problem persists.
Is this likely to be some kind of software fault ? or has the printer developed a fault ?
No error messages appear in device manager.
Anyone any ideas.
Thanks

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I could be wrong as the MP610 is not something I've played with directly but the power functionality for any MP model Canon printer can't be controlled using the Auto Power off setting that is available with single function printers like the iP4500.

It's possible that some of this functionality has leaked into the driver for Windows 7 and is causing problems or there could be some setting on the MP610 itself (ie: via the printers control panel) that controls this behaviour.

Ordinarily I would suggest using something called "Driver deleter" that Kyocera put out as a utility for their printers but it seems it may not work with Win7 so that's out.

Much as I hate to admit it, this sounds like one for Canon support.

duncan22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.
To be honest it's not a major problem as all I have to do is press the on button for the printer to get back on line.
The Printer is approx 2 years old and has had considerable use so I will keep it going until it gives up the ghost. I Have a spare IP 4500 (refurbished) still in it's box so when I get around to using that I will soon discover if it's the printer at fault or Windows 7.
Just thought I would post in case anyone else has had a similar problem.