Canon MP 560 6C10 Error/last ditch effort

antrecords

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp 560
Anyone know how to clear the 6C10 Error message of death? We've exhausted all online methods, to no avail. The printer is about 4 months old, and has used 1 set of ink (then refilled once). The 6C10 error message renders the entire machine useless, no scanning to Photoshop, no copying or printing whatsoever. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst, this pile of plastic will be hitting the dumpster if I can't resolve this by the weekend (I need to print!). Any help/thoughts much appreciated!

Also, any advice on a follow up printer if need be? Something that works well with German refill, will last a while?

Regards,

Mike

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There are a number of alledged solutions Googling "Canon MP560 6C10" or just "canon 6C10". i don't know what you've tried, but have you tried "all online methods"?

If the printer is only four months old then it should be covered under warranty. Have you spoken to Canon? If not, or if you have and still have not sent it back to them, why?

antrecords

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp 560
Hi, yes we really have tried every method we could find to reset the unit, multiple times, none of them worked. Maybe they are not specific to this unit? Anyhow, the warranty is probably voided as I've altered/refilled the OEM cartriges. They worked for a month, then the error randomly popped up.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you used a chip resetter, then Canon will not know about refilling when checking the printer's Service Test Print and EEPROM information printout.

If you bypassed ink level monitoring by following the on-screen guide, then Canon can see you did that, but that may not automatically disqualify you from warranty repair.

If you send the printer in with refilled cartridges then, yep, they'll know and very well may refuse warranty service.

It's important to know what the 6C10 error means. A Service Manual for your printer or similar model may alert you to a fix.

antrecords

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp 560
thanks for the replies Stratman. the majority seem to feel the 6C10 error is an ink waste tank full-related error. I haven't read anyone specifically resolving this with the MP560, though many have resoved other printers of the issue. The problem first presented itself as a 5Axx or something, the waste sponge/clip had dislodged and was blocking full travel. I did fix that but now it's stuck in 6C10 error. That's all it says when you turn it on, you cannot access any other menu or function whatsoever.

Yes, the OEM carts are drilled and refilled, I'm sure that won't go far on a warranty claim )...it's all relative with warranty, there's obtaining RA's, shipping it back, time without a printer, etc. I don't know about that, I just need to print soon.

antrecords

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp 560
Does anyone know the theory behind "waste tank full" error messages, i.e. is there a sensor that detects when the ink is "full", is there a counter that estimates it after "X" copies, is it mechanical, electrical or ROM? Would it be worth it to take it all apart and clean it out (if it's a sensor), or would that not matter if I cannot reset the memory (if it's ROM)?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
There's no sensor. The waste tank is not really a tank, it's a bunch of ink absorber pads that line the entire bottom of the printer and soak up ink like a sponge from cleanings and the overspray from borderless printing. It's a counter that estimates and it is stored in memory.

I would call Canon and tell them what happened. They often will send out a new printer and have you ship the old one back to them in the same box with prepaid shipping.

antrecords

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp 560
Thanks, I will probably contact them for service soon.

flyfishingphil

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
FYI I had the 6C10 error for 2 days and checked everywhere I could to find a solution. All to no avail so I figured if it can't be fixed why not investigate and see what I can find/do. If you have this problem you might want to try this on Pixma MP560:

First, open the lid and allow the ink cartridge carrier to center itself. Now, looking to the right, you will see a row of white rollers behind the carrier. At the end of the rollers there is a small, clear piece of plastic that sticks up. (Mine looked like a black brush when I first noticed it.) Put on some rubber gloves to keep the hands from getting covered with ink and take a small piece of a paper towel and wipe all of the ink off this piece of plastic. When that is clean move on to the ink pad.

About 1 inch, towards the front of the printer from that piece of plastic, is a small square, about 1/2 inch per side, that is a small foam pad. This is where the excess ink is collected. Take a piece of paper towel and press into the foam. Do this until the paper towel is no longer collecting ink. Close the lid, turn off the printer then turn it back on.

Process took about 10 minutes and everything was working fine when I restarted the printer. Saves the cost of shop or shipping and seems to work just fine. Maybe make it a habit of soaking up the ink in the foam each time you change ink cartridges.

printeruser12

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
flyfishingphil: Thank you so much for your post. I had the 6C10 error on my MP560, and similar to the original author, I tried everything on the internet in terms of re-setting my printer with no luck. I finally tried your suggestion of simply cleaning excess ink from around the rollers and especially from the small foam pad and my printer worked again after more than a month of refusing to print! Thank you. Shame on Canon for having such a generic error message and for having their customer support recommend replacing the printer motherboard when in reality it was simply a matter of absorbing excess ink.