Canon MG8220 Not Printing in Color

Cappuccino

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG8220
Hi all,

As the title of this post implies, my family’s Canon MG8220 currently will not print in color (See the attached image for the faulty nozzle check pattern). That being said, since last summer, this printer has been problematic. For transparency’s sake, I will explain as thoroughly as possible its history throughout the past year. Although I am a college student and have not personally witnessed some of the events discussed below, my mom—the primary user of our Canon—has described to me her issues with the device. I am writing here as a last resort after perusing posts from the numerous experts within this forum. Hopefully, your helpful advice can salvage yet another printer. :fl

Sometime last summer, our Canon displayed the infamous, ink absorber pad error upon startup. After researching online, my mom found instructions for cleaning the pads, but was unable to dismiss the error message on the screen, preventing usage of the printer. (Unbeknownst to us at the time, the printer refused to operate until the AI’s counter was reset as well.) Because our computer was simultaneously acting erratically, we decided to take both devices to a local repair shop. However, even their supposed “Canon expert” failed to fix the error message. Consequently, my mom surmised our printer was out of commission. Given that I had to return to school, the printer was a paperweight for several months until my winter break.

At that time, after discovering YouTube videos and posts on forums like PK explaining how to enter service mode and reset the waste ink counter, I managed to eliminate the error message on the screen, allowing us to print again. Since the printer was dormant for over five months, I executed several tasks listed under the “Maintenance” tab, beginning with a nozzle check pattern. While the results from January were discarded, I distinctly remember seeing a single, thin, white line through the darkest magenta section. Assuming the printhead may have been clogged, I then selected the “cleaning” and “deep cleaning” options. Yet, I THINK the white line remained. Unfortunately, I erroneously concluded that such a minor imperfection in the nozzle check pattern was benign, so we disregarded it. I now realize my ignorance. :(

In the middle of February, I began receiving texts from my mom chronicling additional issues with the printer. Initially, edges of papers were slightly streaked with black ink, but I believe a bottom plate cleaning solved the problem. On March 13th, she informed me that PGBK was the sole “color” to appear on a nozzle check; multiple printhead cleanings were futile. Suspecting that the latter necessitated replacement, I found an eBay listing from a reputable seller in the United States for a new, genuine, QY6-0078 printhead. Prior to purchasing the part, I recommended that she perform all maintenance options and manually clean the printhead. According to her, she utilized warm, distilled water—apparently, the printhead was “really dirty,” requiring three cups of spooned water before flowing properly—and subsequently soaked it in the solution. Nevertheless, she stated that only a “very light [black and white] copy on ‘high’” could be printed following this procedure. Inserting the new printhead precipitated the same outcome. :he In addition, replacing the ink cartridges with new ones was ineffective. Colors were still absent from pages, including the nozzle check pattern. By the way, we only have used OEM cartridges.

Characteristic of some users’ experiences, I hope that the eBay printhead is not defective, considering we spent over $80 on it. Although the box was unsealed, my mom claims that the printhead was sealed inside its packaging, and it seemed to be in “pristine” condition. Regardless, we have both printheads.

Since I have recently returned home from college, I would like to help my family restore our MG8220 to working order, if at all possible. It was an excellent printer for many years and likely superior to today’s models. I am relatively unfamiliar with printer repair, so I need detailed instructions on how to fix this problem. I still have Canon Service Tool v3400, but if a service manual for my model is available online, please let me know. Thank you in advance for any information/suggestions that can be provided. :thumbsup

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    158.1 KB · Views: 346

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Cappuccino and welcome, despite you and your Mom’s gallant efforts to save the printer, you’ll have to accept that it’s gone this time.:(

A new printer would be your best option and I can recommend you something that would take its place and won’t let you down, check out the Maxify models range of printers, there’s one for every pocket, and you won’t be disappointed with your purchase...;)

Cappuccino

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG8220
Thank you for your input. I apologize for the delayed response. Before recycling the printer, is there any chance that its purge unit could be malfunctioning? (I read in other threads that some users were able to fix similar problems by disassembling their printers.) Otherwise, is there a specific MAXIFY model (or another Canon printer) that you and/or the forum recommend?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
is there a specific MAXIFY model (or another Canon printer) that you and/or the forum recommend?
It’s not nice to have to dispose of a good printer just because you can’t get a new print head, but that said it has happened to a lot of others too.

The Canon Maxify is a ruggit office printer that can take quite a bit of abuse and still work properly, there are quite a few models with lots of bells and whistles to choose from and you can make your own choice based on either the cost or all the extras that each model has, but make your choice wisely…

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There are few differences between the models available here in the US. Mostly, the differences are larger ink volume cartridges, auto-duplex ADF (Automatic Document Feeder), slight speed improvements, size of the LCD screen on the printer, the number of trays for paper capacity, and the Page Duty Cycle (recommended maximum number of pages printable per month).

I don't recall if Auto-Duplex printing is available on all models, but make sure it is on the model you are interested in if that is important to you. It is a function I use often.

As The Hat said, this is aimed at the SOHO environment and so not designed to be a photo printer. However, photo quality is very good for this class of printer, better than I expected. Also, the Maxify's print on fewer paper sizes than many photo printers, so be mindful of what size print outs you need a printer produce.

I have a Maxify MB5120 ($150 at B&H Photo currently) that has all the whistles and bells except for a second paper tray. The largest paper size printable is Legal Paper. It has a 30,000 Page Duty Cycle which I will never get near. I love this printer for its speed, pigment ink, large capacity cartridges, Auto Duplex printing, the quality of text, and image quality (albeit a lowered expectation than if using a dedicated photo printer). I have not needed to refill yet, but as far as I can tell, the ink usage predicted by Canon is fairly honest. YMMV.

Cappuccino

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG8220
Thanks (again) for all input. I apologize for the delayed response/update. Based on cost, desired features, and user reviews, we purchased the TS8220. In comparison to its predecessor, my mom feels this printer is not made as well. Nevertheless, as a last resort, I tested the purge unit at the end of Summer 2019, per advice on other posts from users such as @ghwellsjr and @turbguy. Utilizing the latter’s instructions, if I remember correctly, there may have been residual fluid after step 2. Yet, this was the resulting nozzle check pattern:
Nozzle Check 1-1.png
Obviously, while not all colors were present and PBGK was severely distorted, I considered this a success and crossed my fingers for further progress. Additional Windex cleanings resurrected the missing colors, several lines of the PBGK, and partial text at the bottom. I think I attempted roughly ten rounds of Windex, each followed by a nozzle check pattern, before giving up for the night. Below are the most recent tests (please disregard the water droplet on the top cyan bar and the dark marks on the second gray bar):
Nozzle Check 7-1.pngNozzle Check 9-1.png
Am I mistaken in surmising the purge system is clogged somewhere, thereby persevering in my resuscitation efforts? I have yet to print out another nozzle check, but I imagine my headway would be compromised due to the MG8220’s dormancy. (My mom refused to touch it when I was at college, and COVID took precedence over the past 6 months.) Even during my “trials,” the presence/intensity of colors were unstable, particularly the lightest shade of magenta. Meanwhile, this process is wasting ink cartridges, of which my family has limited stock; my mom doesn’t want to purchase more unless this printer can definitely be salvaged. Is there a way to repeatedly test the purge unit/run nozzle check patterns without depleting ink? Please let me know if I should upload all of the prior output. Furthermore, these results are from the eBay printhead; if need be, we can insert the original one. ☺

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good job getting the printer to function near normal. :thumbsup

From the looks of it, If there was a purge system issue then there isn't one anymore.

The missing nozzles of the Pigment Black ink lattice nozzle check are either clogs or burned out nozzles. You've been able to get ink flowing through some of the nozzles, so, chances are you may get all the nozzles flowing again over time and use.

The Magenta issues seem to at least be ink starvation (nozzle check #7 has much of the light Magenta but nozzle check #9 has little). A new Magenta cartridge, or a good flush and refill, should resolve this On Again - Off Again situation.

There may also be a touch of clogged or burned out nozzles as noted by the straight horizontal band of clearing in the upper third of the 2nd Magenta swath. This same horizontal banding can be seen in a Cyan swath. If this is true burned out nozzles then nothing will bring it back. In both the 1st swath of Cyan and Magenta there is no perception of missing ink to me, so maybe "standard" and/or "high" intensity ink setting will not show these missing inks. If this horizontal banding is a clog, then it may be reversible over time and use, just like the Pigment Black missing nozzles.

For more than one reason, the forum advice is usually to use a new or known working cartridge when issues like this occur. You want to take out the potential of the cartridge/sponge as the problem and first see if it is a print head problem and whether reversible or not.

You've come a long way to resolving your issues. Keep it up and you may have complete - or "good enough" - success.