Canon MG6250 scanning problem

GregC

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6250
Hi guys,

Had found my way here in search of people having had the same problem with a scanner. I don't know whether this is the best place, as it isn't a printing problem, but thought I might have an ask!

A fixed strip down the left side of the scanner has started not scanning properly. It is very variable, sometimes light, dark, intermittent throughout a page. Occasionally it does a normal page. I wondered if it could be a single colour, but I'm not sure I have proven that. I have attached an image below, + having turned it 180 degrees so you can see what the strip should look like.

Very grateful for any thoughts on what I could try, or if other scans might help. Is it dead?! Thanks!

5jwkd5.jpg

m9qcmf.jpg

idsz21.jpg

GregC

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6250
This may be the wrong forum, as it's a scanning issue rather than the actual printing... but if so, any suggestions on a suitable place to ask?

Thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Your question is perfectly OK. For a printer to be useful you need something to print. There have also been forum discussions about photography and about problems with document formatting and printing.

The reason nobody has answered your question yet is probably that most members know much more about printers than about scanners.

You could test if the problem is a hardware or software problem by using the printer as a stand alone copier without the PC turned on or disconnected from the PC. If the the copier function is OK you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer/scanner driver and other software. If the problem is also present when the printer is used as a stand alone copier, the problem must be in the scanner hardware. If it is a hardware problem sadly I don't know what to do.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@GregC, I see your issue as a hardware problem rather than software, it would seem there is a failure in the scanners ability to reproduce the image that has been scanned, (Cataract).

A good example is like the nozzles in a print head they too can fail gradually and not preform as they should, and I reckon the condition is a terminal electrical problem and it would be cheaper to get a new scanner than to have this one repaired, I have seen similar issues like this in other types of scanners.

The only other alternative is to keep your scanned image to the opposite side out of the way of the failed area, this problem can only get worse as time goes by, this of course is only my opinion..