theADDict

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mg5550 mg5250 mg5350 ++
Help.
Tried holding power plus 2 resume...5 resume...6 resume....no go
Either boots as normal or sits frozen.

Other printers fine, just this mg5550 wont go into service...what is the correct method ?

Lights are power light and error light, no green light.
They do alternate during presses.

Cant find a service manual online either.

many thanks in advance

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
These newer printers are a bit trickier to get them to do anything out of the ordinary for you so.
Try this way:-

First turn on the printer with the Power button and when the light stops flashing then hold in the Power button again and press the Resume button 5 times while still holding in the Power button, then release and wait.

That should work for you, please report back on your success..

theADDict

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
doesn't seem to work but will keep trying.

printer starts to boot after first power press.
continues during second press + resume 5x
upon releasing both it just goes through close down process.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Power on the printer and wait till it becomes stationary and the LED is static.

Then press and hold the Power button, followed by 5 slowly on the Resume button, then remove your fingers and wait till the printer becomes idle.

Try it again, because this procedure does work on these new printer models..

theADDict

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
no difference mate...the second power press equates to turning off, and the five slow resume presses don't alter that :-(
it still turns off.
At least with the standard method the error light and power light were alternating with each press, as if something was happening.

theADDict

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
thats the method I tried originally.
I think the service mode must be locked - and that method is probably the correct one

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The video linked to by The Hat is for a Canon iP7250, that is a PGI-550/CLI-551 printer like the MG5550 so you would expect the procedure to work. The video is from a druckerchannel.de article about changing the ink absorbers in an iP7250. Here is the part about the absorber reset, and here is a translation.

I guess that the MG5550 has traditional push buttons? If it only has an on/off button and the rest of the buttons replaced by sensor fields, a slightly different procedure is needed for entering service mode. You can read about this different procedure here and following posts to #116 included.

Maybe @Łukasz knows more about service mode on the newest Canon printers?

Alessandro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5550
I'd like to go in service mode to try resolving the error 1403, Print head problem

I've tried the first procedure
  • Turn off the device.
  • Press the Resume button and hold it down.
  • Press the Power button and hold it down also.
  • Release the Resume button and press this 5x short. The orange LED on the printer to change after each keystroke between on and off.
  • Release the Power button.
First time I think it worked (after the procedure the orange/triangle led was flashing in a rapid sequence) but now it doesn't work anymore.
Now after the procedure orange/triangle led remains turned on.
Also the first time windows show that a new USB device was connected, now it doesn't.

I've also tried the 2nd procedure
  • With the machine power turned off, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the button.)
  • When the Power LED lights, while holding the ON button, press the Stop button 5 times, and release the ON button. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately.)
  • When the Power LED lights, the machine is ready for the service mode operation.
But this doesn't work, when I release the power button the printer starts up in normal mode.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Since this thread was started I've acquired a Canon MG5550. I have tried to get it to enter service mode but without luck. See this post. I have also searched for a service manual without luck. It seems service mode operations are no longer possible with printers of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation and newer. Some say service mode operations can only be performed online when connected to a Canon server. Maybe the service manuals can only be read online from the same server? That might be why no newer manuals are found on the web.

From an older manual for the MG5100 series printers error 1403 is a temperature error of the print head. It means the print head is defective and close to failing if it has not already done so. Even if the MG5550 could enter service mode, you cannot clear the error code. You have to repair the error by replacing the print head and most likely also the logic board. It is recommended that when replacing a print head the logic board is also replaced.

When a Canon print head fails there is a risk that it damages the logic board. A logic board that has been damaged in this way might damage a new print head. So replacing the print head is a gamble and I cannot tell the odds for success.

The print head is QY6-0082, if you want to search for one. If you are located in the UK you can buy one here. But I recommend not to gamble the money on this entry level printer.

Last edited: