Canon MG5370 Printing very slow after refilling

arkpr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am experiencing a very strange problem with my canon MG5370. As I got the 'low on ink' message for magenta, I refilled my CLI-726M cartridge with my all new OCP ink... It was printing smoothly. Then after some days it gave me a "Replace ink tank" message for the same. I knew that I have Refilled it earlier so I just went through the routine messages and disabled the 'ink monitoring' for Magenta (I have ordered the resetter from ebay, it is yet to arrive.). From now on whenever I print a content which has Magenta color in it, the printer prints comparatively slow, pausing on each side of the paper for say 1/2 a sec. It is behaving like it has run out of ink and the decrease in speed is to prevent the printhead nozzles from burning out (I Guess, Pls correct me if i m wrong). But the fact is, Magenta is printing smoothly without any artifacts (OCP Inks are really great).
After some days, same happened to Cyan. I refilled, I disabled the ink Monitoring. Cyan Prints as good as OEM, but the Print speed slow down, pausing on each side of paper, whenever Cyan and Magenta are being printed...
And I m pretty sure, Its gonna happen for other remaining carts too.
I want to mention it again that both refilled carts are printing awesome. I have refilled the yellow and blacks too. They are Printing at normal pace as they are still on the 'low on ink' status, and ink monitor is running for them yet.

Please help.

One more Question... Now as my resetter is on the way, will I be able to get Ink Monitor running as usual again for all carts after I reset them...???:)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have never heard of or experienced this behaviour before, but my Canon printers are older, and I have resetters.

I think it is one more trick from Canon to scare users to only use new OEM cartridges, so thanks for the report. But resat OEM cartridges refilled with a quality brand refill ink such as OCP are perfectly OK to use.

I'm sure that your printer will behave normaly again after you get your resetter and start using it. After the cartridges are resat, ink monitoring will also be restored. The resetter tricks the printer into registering the refilled and resat cartridge as a new OEM cartridge. That is the beauty of the resetter :D So I think a resetter is a must have for refillers.

arkpr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks peterBJ. It was a relief to know that Ink monitor will be in action again after resetting. These opaque cartridges are very difficult to keep track of.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The PGI-720/CLI-721 cartridges are identical to your PGI-725/CLI-726 cartridges except for different chips and windows to the ink chambers, making them much more refill friendly. So you could transfer your PGI-725/CLI-726 chips to a set of the windowed cartridges. As the chips are coded for color among other things, transfer only one chip at a time to avoid getting them mixed up.

The windowed cartridges need not be of the PGI-720/CLI-721 variety, any cartridges of the PGIx20/CLI-x21 type will do as you do not need the chips from them. You can search Ebay for "Virgin Empty" cartridges of this type. Instructions for chip swapping is found here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631

The first digit in the cartridge number determines what region the cartridge is intended for. A PGI-525 cartridge is for Europe, a PGI-225 cartridge is for North America. I think Canon has divided the world into 8 different regions.

arkpr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the Cartridge no. Info. I will search for the said windowed cartridges... It will definitely make my printing and refilling life simple... :D

arkpr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A necessary Update here... Printer is printing at its normal pace now... ( I have not reset the cartridges yet, resetter is on the way ). Its ridiculous, I guess it was only a matter of some prints. The printer was behaving weird during that period. Anyways, I m gonna reset them as soon as i get my hands on the resetter... As PeterBJ quoted... its indeed a must have tool for refillers. :D

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for the update, some print jobs take more time than others. It will be much quicker to print an A4 plain paper document than an A4 photo, especially in the highest quality. So this was no new trick from Canon, I think.