Canon MG5250 printing black as blue when using photo paper

PhilandJojones

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5250
Hi,
Can anyone help...

I am trying to print an x-ray image (which is grey scale) using a Canon MG5250 printer, with non OEM inks, on glossy photo paper at the high quality setting. However, when I do so, the darkest part of the image (it looks black to me) comes out Blue (probably pure Cyan). I have tried the 'grayscale printing' setting but this does exactly the same.

If I use ordinary paper, it works fine.

Any ideas, before I use up too much photo paper...

Many thanks,

Phil

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
While still using your glossy paper to print on, set your printers media to plain paper and then you’ll find it will work for you..:)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the printer will then use the pigment black, which is unsuitable for printing on photo paper. The print will be neither scratch resistant nor waterproof.

But if you flush your pigment black cartridge and fill it with dye black (photo black) the method should work.

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Hello!

Could You upload scanned nozzle print? It may help a lot.

Most likely it is blocked CLI-BK (photo black), please don't neglect such condition!
If CLI-BK is blocked, very bad damage to printhead may occur in any moment.

Ł.

While still using your glossy paper to print on, set your printers media to plain paper and then you’ll find it will work for you..:)
As long as his PGBK non-OEM cart is cheapest one :D

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I think the printer will then use the pigment black, which is unsuitable for printing on photo paper. The print will be neither scratch resistant nor waterproof.
I wasn’t reckoning on that because I taught he’d still use the colours and not print in greyscale, nice one @PeterBJ.
I am spoiled in that I use pigment inks mostly and don’t have a drying problem on gloss.
Hello!
Could You upload scanned nozzle print? It may help a lot.

Most likely it is blocked CLI-BK (photo black), please don't neglect such condition!
If CLI-BK is blocked, very bad damage to printhead may occur in any moment.
Ł.
@ Łukasz has a point also; he may in fact have an ink flow problem with his PK black which would result in poor dark prints !

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@ Łukasz has a point also; he may in fact have an ink flow problem with his PK black which would result in poor dark prints !
The dye black (photo black) has a reddish/purplish tint. This is easily seen if you dilute the ink. Maybe the printer compensates for this tint by adding cyan to the dark areas? If the photo black is not printing properly then the cyan might show?

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Cyan:eek: CLI-BK run out condition in MG5150 (photo quality settings on cheap photo paper):
cyan_out.jpg

Black is fading to sea-like green-blue color. Quite far from pure Cyan (pure Cyan is to the right).

Ł.

Also Epson do that in Stylus Pro 3880 - photo black is "reinforced" with Cyan:
5368561300_1363696281_thumb.jpg

http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/viewtopic.php?p=12082079#12082079

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Printing correct B/W images with a colour inkjet printer can be a problem. There are some methods to improve this,

Enthusiasts make their own printer profiles, but this takes expensive hard- and software and is no simple task.

Make sure your non OEM ink gives a good colour photo print. If not colours can be tweaked in the printer driver and you might get better results, or you could try another ink brand, maybe even try OEM cartridges even if expensive.

You could try replacing the ink in the pigment cartridge with dye black if you refill OEM cartridges.

You could try this method suggested by Łukasz. You will have to flush your magenta cartridge and refill with dye black or transfer a magenta chip to a dye black cartridge.

Mikling from precisioncolors once offered a special B/W inkset for Canon printers. Maybe it is still available? @mikling . You might be able to make something similar, but with less linear grey scale by refilling the cyan and magenta cartridges with dye black and the yellow cartridge with grey ink. Then print your image in colour mode and the print out will be B/W.

What cartridges do you use? Canon OEM refilled with what brand of ink using what method? Or do you use aftermarket cartridges? Brand?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

But if you flush your pigment black cartridge and fill it with dye black (photo black) the method should work.

There exists matte photo paper. Even a decent cardboard could be used.

But since this printer has CMYK photo inks, it should print an acceptable black-and-white image on glossy paper.
I have the same printer and will try it this weekend.