Canon MG5220 ROM dump and service manual

dewyatt

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
This may not be the best place to post this but I'm not sure where else it would fit.
So I started to hack around with my MG5220 a bit.
I downloaded the service manual:
http://www.4shared.com/office/HEzwqoJT/canon_pixma-mg5220_sm.html

I found a 64-mbit ROM chip (MX23L6454), desoldered it and dumped the contents:
http://www.4shared.com/archive/46OwLsZY/rom.html

I'm not positive on what all the ROM contains. It clearly has localized strings, etc. Maybe it has images for the LCD UI too.
binwalk reports a ton of LZMA signatures (as usual), some ARM/ARMEB function epilogues (binwalk -A), and some VxWorks headers but I haven't looked into any of it.

Unfortunately, this chip seems to be genuinely read-only.
It would likely be easy to replace it with a socket and compatible+writable chip to toy around some more.
However, there is a large proprietary chip that I'm guessing is the brains of the whole thing and may do a cksum on the ROM anyways.

There aren't any firmware updates for the MG5220. I tried to install an update for one of the MG5300 series by patching the Printer Update.exe (I was careless/daring) but once it started to transfer, it failed.

I don't know, this is probably as far as I can go with this since I kind of need this device in working order. :p
I just thought I would post this in case anyone is interested.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
dewyatt said:
This may not be the best place to post this but I'm not sure where else it would fit.

I don't know, this is probably as far as I can go with this since I kind of need this device in working order. :p
OK now you have,
I just dont get it at all, what were you trying to achieve with your exercise.

I could understand if it was a computer but its a printer,
so my only suggestion would be to just let it print..

dewyatt

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
The Hat said:
dewyatt said:

OK now you have,
I just dont get it at all, what were you trying to achieve with your exercise.

I could understand if it was a computer but its a printer,
so my only suggestion would be to just let it print..
Ideally the end result would be an open-source firmware for the device.
That could end up unlocking a lot of features that are hardware-supported but software-restricted (to more expensive models, perhaps).
Similar to what the CHDK firmware does for Canon PowerShot cameras. It unlocks a lot of features that my a640 normally does not support out of the box.
It could also make it much more customizable (the UI on the LCD, for example, could be modified).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Well I am glad I asked so please keep it up, even dough it may not lead anywhere.. :idunno

benryanau

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey nice one dewyatt.. so cool to see someone finally poking under the hood of these Canons!
Stumbed across your post and tried to grab the info you kindly posted up to see what I could see.. but the links are dead?
If you could repost them that'd be good.. and if I can get copies I could host them on my SkyDrive till my server is back online?
PM'ing you a cc btw

Cheers

dewyatt

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Updated links, sorry about that!

dewyatt

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
benryanau said:
Hey nice one dewyatt.. so cool to see someone finally poking under the hood of these Canons!
Stumbed across your post and tried to grab the info you kindly posted up to see what I could see.. but the links are dead?
If you could repost them that'd be good.. and if I can get copies I could host them on my SkyDrive till my server is back online?
PM'ing you a cc btw

Cheers
Forgot to add:
1) Let me know if you are still willing/able to host these files so I can update the links
2) Keep us updated, let us know if you find anything interesting!