Canon MG5150 Printhead does not want to unclog

zadintuvas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, I am having problems with magenta in my Canon MG5150 multifunctional.
Some time ago i have noticed that it does not print every line of magenta properly (it had some white stripes), i tried a few built-in printer cleaning cycles, but it had basically no effect. It did not bother me at the time, because i was printing mainly in black and white.
After a few months I have noticed that it does not print magenta at all. So I realized I am in trouble. I have googled for printhead prices and it seems that I costs nearly the same as a new printer. I thought maybe I can unclog it myself and ordered some cleaning kit from ebay.
There were instructions to heat the "cleaning solution" (which is probably just isopropanol) and use the syringe to push the solution through printhead.
Initially i have seen a few drops of magenta coming through, but the resistance while pressing syringe remained so it did not unclog at all. I tried to submerge not only the bottle with the cleaning solution, but also the syringe in hot water to keep it warmer, but nothing seems to be coming through.

So my question is there anything else I can do besides buying new printhead?

My "specs":
* Canon MG5150 multifunctional (all-in-one) printer.
* Genuine 520/521 cartridges from OctoInkjet.
* Ink also from OctoInkjet.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
If you come to the point where you have given up and are ready to buy a new printer/print head, you might want to look at this thread.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I've fired off an email to you directly (or at least I believe I have the right address) so hopefully you should receive that too...

But in terms of printhead cleaning this article:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=53386#p53386

... is a good starting point and I've found to be much more effective than many of the ebay cleaning fluids or approaches.

I'll keep an eye out for a reply via email too...

zadintuvas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for you response, i have provided you the batch number you have requested.

Regarding the cleaning article:
I think i am way past the basic clog. I tried warm water, it did not help. I think i will need to leave it in some brand of windows cleaner (i don't think i can get windex where I live) overnight.

zadintuvas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
So I bought a new printer (because it costs as much as a new print head) and after a month magenta seems to be causing same problems. I haven't totally lost it, but i am seeing white stripes. So leaving print head in windows cleaner overnight.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried another Cart? Also have you purged the old one before refilling. It looks like you have ink flow problems with the Magenta cart/magenta nozzles.

If you put a folded paper towel into a shallow dish of window cleaner, and GENTLY push SLOWLY up and down you should see some colour appearing on the screens. If so head should be clear. Another method I have tried is to take the rubber grommet off around the magenta (carefully noting which way round it goes). I then cut the closed end of a syringe needle scabbard. The open end I found was a nice snug fit on my Canon Pixma MP620. I then filled a syringe with cleaner and injected it through the scabbard, and hopefully the fluid should drain through quite quickly to the pad underneath.
I would also recommend only printing nozzle checks until your problem is resolved.